Aloo Gobhi Masala- A delicious simple to make curry made with potato and cauliflower-U.P Style
Aloo Gobhi Sabzi is a very popular delicious curry from North India. It is a simple potato, cauliflower ,tomato curry cooked in most of the kitchens in Uttar Pradesh. It taste delicious and can also be made using the pressure cooker Though I prefer to cook it in a a pan.
The cauliflower and potatoes are chopped into big chunks and then shallow fried in little oil till they get slight golden spots . The roasted cauliflower and potato gives a very nice taste and aroma to the curry. If you are short of time then can skip this step and directly add the chopped veggies in the masala without stir frying .
The gravy is simple and made with chopped tomatoes and dry spices. Tomatoes are added in the tadka and cooked till it become mushy . After that add all the spices and the roasted cauliflower and potato . Stir fry for few minutes and then add water and cook till done. The thickness of the curry depends on individual choice you can make it thinner or thicker as per your choice.
You can also add some fresh green peas in it to make it more colorful. This aloo gobhi masala can be served with poori,paratha ,rice, goes well with almost everything.
You can also check these recipes-
- Dhaba Style Aloo Gobhi
- Sarson ka Saag
- Dry aloo Gobhi Sabzi
- Gobhi Matar Ka keema
- Gajar Ki Kanji
- Makki Aloo Paratha
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Aloo Gobhi Masala- U. P Style
- 500 gm Cauliflower /phool gobhi
- 500 gm Potatoes / Aloo
- 400 gm Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- pinch Garam Masala Powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 3 cup Water / Paani check notes
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya Optional
- 1/4 cup Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 8 Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch
- 2 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 2 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon /daalchini
- Wash and chop cauliflower into medium size pieces and then soak in luke worm water for 10 minutes. Add turmeric or little baking soda in the water to remove the worms and impurities from the cauliflower if any.
- Peel and cop the potatoes into medium size pieces and keep aside.
- Grind tomatoes and make a fine puree.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and add the cauliflower florets and shallow fry till few brown spots appear on the pieces and then remove from the pan.
- Now add potato cubes in the same pan and shallow fry till few golden spots appear on the pieces , remove from the pan and keep aside.
- Now add cumin seeds in the same pan when it start to crackle then add all the tempering ingredients.(if there is no oil left in the pan after shallow frying the vegetables then add 2.5 tbsp oil in the pan and when it become hot then add the cumin.)
- Now add tomato puree, ginger ,salt and all the dry spices and cook till it tomato become soft and mushy.
- Now add the shallow fried vegetables and the green chilies and stir fry for 2 minutes so all the masala get mixed with the vegetables.
- Add 3 cups of water and mix well. Cover the pan with the lid and cook on medium to low heat till done.
- If Making it in the pressure cooker then follow the same steps and after adding everything and the water , pressure cook it for a whistle.
- You can make it in a pan or in the pressure cooker by following the same process , just pressure cook for a whistle
- Can also add some fresh peas in the curry.
- Quantity of water depend on personal choice, you can add less or more water as per your preference ,add salt accordingly.