Mushroom Chilli – A delicious crisp snack of sweet, sour , salty flavors made with capsicum and Mushroom’s
Mushroom Chilli or Chilli mushroom is a quick snack made with batter coated fried mushrooms and bell peppers. Its a Indo Chinese fusion type of recipe with sweet, salty and spicy taste. This crispy snack is packed with textures and flavors in each bite.
Mushroom Chilli is a very popular dish of Indian restaurants. It can be enjoyed as a starter or a side dish with fried rice or noodles or with a hot soup it pairs well with every thing Chinese. Mushroom chilli is served in two forms- chili mushroom dry and Chili mushroom with gravy.
Today I am sharing my favorite dry chilli mushroom recipe. I have sliced mushroom into big chunks but you can make into small cubes as per your preference. You can also use coloured bell peppers to make it more interesting or just use green bell peppers in it.
This starter is best served piping hot to retain the crispness of the fried mushrooms else they become slightly soft and soggy if kept for long. Serve with tomato ketchup or with any tangy spicy dip of your choice.
you can also check these recipes-
Chili Mushroom Dry
- 300 gm Button Mushrooms
- 1 Green Capsicum/ Bell Pepper
- 1 Red Capsicum
- 1 inch Ginger / Adrak
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce / Soya Sauce
- 1.5 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tbsp White Vinegar / Sirka
- 1.5 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 1.5 tbsp Red chili paste/sauce
for the batter
- 4 tbsp Corn Flour
- 3 tbsp Refined Flour / Maida
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder / Kali Mirch
- 1/3 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chili powder – 3.5 tsp
- 1 tsp White sesame seeds /til roasted
- Wash the mushrooms and slice the bottom stalk and then slice the mushrooms into two pieces.
- If the mushrooms' are small then you can use them whole and if they are big then make small cubes . Size depends on your personal preference.
- Take a bowl and add corn flour, refined flour, grated ginger, salt, pepper powder, Kashmiri chili powder and stir to mix. Add water and whisk well to make a smooth lump free batter of thick consistency like pakora batter.
- Add mushroom halves in the batter and mix them well so they coat nicely.
- Heat oil in a wide deep pan and heat on medium temperature.
- Place the batter coated mushrooms in the medium hot oil and fry till golden and crisp (fry few at a time , don't crowd the pan else they will stick together)
- Remove the fried mushroom on a a absorbent paper to absorb all the oil and keep aside on a plate.
- In a wok or wide pan add 2 tbsp of sesame oil or any neutral flavor oil and add grated ginger and saute for few seconds.
- Now add the sliced capsicum pieces and sauté on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, red chili paste, soya sauce, vinegar, sugar and stir to mix.
- Now add the fried mushroom in it and toss to mix with the sauces.
- Mix 1 tbsp of corn flour with 6 tbsp of water and make a thin slurry and add in the pan and mix with the mushrooms.
- Check the seasoning and adjust if needed.
- Cook for a minutes and then switch off the flame.
- Garnish with toasted sesames seeds and serve hot with some tomato ketchup or any tangy dip of your choice
- Serve immediately else they may become soggy.