Mushroom Pepper fry- Quick delicious stir fried Mushroom and bell peppers
Mushroom Pepper fry is a easy and delicious side dish or starter from Southern India. Mushroom and bell peepers are a nice combination . Bell peppers gives a nice crunch with soft juicy mushrooms. This is the quickest recipe to try with mushrooms.
For making this simple Mushroom Pepper fry you need just a few basic ingredients.I have used green bell peppers only but you can add yellow ,red ,orange bell peppers too ,which gives a nice color to the ready dish.
This Mushroom Pepper fry is a versatile dish. You can serve this as a starter , or as a side dish with rice or roti. You can also use the same mushroom pepper fry to stuff in sandwiches and make mushroom pepper sandwiches or make kathi rolls with the same stuffing.
How To Make Mushroom Pepper Fry
The recipe is quite simple and easy. The main spices used are Cumin and Crushed Peppers. Traditionally coarsely pounded fennel seeds are also added in it but as want to add little ketchup and vinegar so I skipped fennel seeds .The main flavor is from peppers powder so try to add freshly crushed or pounded peppers in it.
Use Button mushroom and after cleaning slice them into medium thick pieces . If you want to serve as a starter then cut into bigger pieces. Chop capsicum into slices.Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds . when it start to crackle then add curry leaves and add the sliced green chilies and the mushroom and saute on medium heat . Soon the mushroom will start releasing water , keep stirring till all the water dries up.
Now add the sliced capsicum and saute on high heat for 2 minutes till they are semi cooked.Now add the salt and pepper powder and mix. Switch off the flame and wait for 2-3 minutes. Now add ketchup and vinegar and mix .Serve hot
How To Serve Mushroom Pepper fry-
- As a Starter– You can serve this as a starter or snack . If you want to serve as a starter then chop mushroom into big pieces. Serve with a tangy dip of your choice.
- Side dish– You can serve this mushroom pepper fry as a side dish with your meal. It is also good to pack in lunch boxes. This goes very well with rice and roti both.
- Sandwiches– You can amke delicious sandwiches with this filling. Stuff betwen bread slice and grill to make sandwiches.
- Kathi rolls/ Tortilla wraps – You can stuff this in tortilla or leftover chapati and make yum kathi rolls.
- Puff Pastry- Stuff this in a puff pastry sheet ,fold and seal with slurry and bake in an preheated oven on 250 degree for 20 minutes
You can also check these delicious recipes-
- Mushroom Matar Pulao
- kadhai Mushroom
- Mushroom Matar masala
- Strawberry Sauce
- Rajasthani Churi Paratha
- Punjabi Garam Masala
- Lucknawi daal
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Mushroom Pepper Fry
- 400 gm Button Mushrooms
- 2 big Bell Peppers / Capsicum / Shimla Mirch
- 3 Green Chilies / Hari Mirch slit lengthwise
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder / Kali Mirch
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1.5 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1.5 tbsp White Vinegar / Sirka
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- Pinch Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder optional
- Wipe the mushroom with a moist cloth and if there are few brown spots on them then try to peel and clean it.
- Slice into 4 or 6 pieces and keep aside
- Wash and chop capsicum into medium thick strips.
- Heat oil in a pan and add curry leaves and green chilies and saute for few seconds.
- Now add mushrooms and saute on medium high heat .
- Soon the mushrooms start releasing moisture but keep stirring and cooking till all the moisture dries up.
- Now add salt and the sliced capsicum and saute till its almost done but remain crunchy.
- Add crushed pepper powder and mix gently.
- Switch off the flame and add tomato ketchup and vinegar and mix.
- Serve immediately with rice or roti or stuff between sandwiches or kathi rolls.