Sesame Rice -A delicious and flavorful rice preparation with roasted sesame ,peanuts and basic spices
A very healthy and delicious rice preparation which is easy and quick to make. It is a specialty from Southern India and sesame seeds are called there as Ellu and rice is sadam hence the name is popular as Ellu sadam.
North Indians make so many dishes with sesame seeds- mainly sweets like ladoo, chikki , gajak are made with sesame seeds. In Southern India they make so many variety of rice dishes with different flavors using different ingredients.
These type of flavorful rice dishes makes a complete meal with some papads or potato wafers . Ellu sadam can be served for main course/side dish and a good recipe to pack in lunch boxes with some salad.
This delicious yet easy to make Till waley chawal is also served as Prashad in most of the temples in Southern India.
Sesame seeds are very healthy, rich in calcium , protein, Iron, Magnesium , fiber and Vitamin D . We should try to include them in our daily diet. White and black sesame both are good .
I have used white sesame in this recipe but if you wish you can mix both and use in this recipe , the color may be bit darker if black seeds are used .
Any type of rice can be used for making sesame rice. short grain ,basmati, brown rice can be used to make Ellu sadam. Leftover Rice can also be used to make this sesame rice.
The recipe is very easy and simple to follow- first boil rice and let it cool down. Then roast sesame seeds , urad daal, curry leaves and red chilies till they release there aroma and become crisp. Make a course powder of roasted sesame, chili and urad daal and then mix in cooked rice along with salt.
Make tempering with some ghee or oil of mustard seeds, roast some peanuts or cashews and then add asafoetida and curry leaves and then add in the rice and mix. You can also add some lemon juice and fresh coriander to finish the dish.
you can also check these recipe-
Sesame Rice I Ellu Sadam
- 1 cup Rice
- Salt / Namak
- 3 tbsp Peanuts / Moongphali
- 2 Green chili/hari mirch chopped
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp lemon juice optional
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- 1 tsp White lentil/urad daal
- few Curry Leaves
- dried whole red chilies
- 1 tsp Bengal gram /chana daal
For Making Sesame Powder/ Ellu Podi
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds /til
- 1 tbsp White lentil/urad daal
- 2 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Few Curry Leaves
- Soak rice in enough water and then drain the water and boil rice in enough water till done. do add some salt while boiling.
- you can also cook the rice in a pot, rice cooker or pressure cooker. Or leftover rice can also be used for making this recipe.
- let the rice cool down completely.
- In a heavy bottom pan add the sesame seeds and roast on low heat till they start to crackle. you can either use white sesame or use half black and half sesame seeds. take out in a plate and let them cool down.
- In the same pan roast both the dal till nice golden in colour.
- Dry roast the dried red chilies, break the whole chilies in 2 -3 pieces before roasting.
- Now add the curry leaves and roast till they become crisp. switch off the flame and then add the asafoetida and stir for few seconds. take out in a plate to cool.
- In the mixture jar add the roasted lentils and the red chilies and grind to make a coarse powder.
- Now add in the curry leaves and the roasted sesame seeds and grind again to make a coarse powder.
- In a pan add 4 tbsp of ghee or oil and add the peanuts and fry on low heat till they become golden and start crackling, remove them from the pan. Instead of peanuts you can use cashews too.
- Now in the same pan add the tempering ingredients- mustard seeds, cumin, urad daal, chana daal, chopped green chilies, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add the cooked rice and the prepared sesame seed powder and stir to mix .
- Add the peanuts in the rice and mix well.
- Serve Ellu Sadam with crisp papad , curd and salad
- Enjoy !