Pineapple rasam- a delicious tangy pigeon pea and pineapple rasam
pineapple Rasam is a very delicious fresh rasam made with boiled mashed tuvar daal and pineapples.It is a very delicious tangy and spicy appetizer drink of black pepper, cumin,tamarind and tomatoes
Rasam is a type of thin and spicy lentil soup which is an integral part of any South Indian meal but is different from the popular sambhar. There are many version of rasam, some are made with lentil and some are made without using any lentil ,taste almost like a spicy tomato or vegetable broth.
A hot cup of rasam on a cold day is very comforting. Usually it is served with hot steamed rice, sambhar ,papad and a dry curry on side. But it can also be served as an appetizer drink before meal.
Freshly ground spice powder (Rasam powder) is added to give a fresh aroma and flavor but now ready made rasam powders of good brands are easily available in the market so you can use them too.
Do try these delicious Southern Indian recipes-
- 4 tbsp Pigeon Pea / Tuvar / Arhar ki daal
- 5 Pineapple / Annanas slices
- 2 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 3 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1/2 inch Ginger / Adrak
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Jaggary / Gud *
- 1.5 tsp Rasam Powder
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Tamarind / Imli pulp
- 2 tsp Ghee/ Clarified Butter
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds/ Rai
- 3 Whole Red Chilies
- 10 Curry Leaves
- Pinch Kashmiri Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Pressure cook tuvar daal/lentil for 3 whistles ,with just enough water, 1 chopped tomato and 3 slit green chillies.
- Blend 3 slices of pineapple with a cup of water and make a smooth paste.
- Take a pan, add boiled and mashed lentil ,pineapple puree,pineapples pieces(1 cup) chopped
ginger,1 chopped tomato and all the spices and approx.2.5 glass of
water.(can adjust the thickness according to your choice
- Boil on medium heat for 8 minutes.Add the tamarind pulp only if you like to make it little sour
- Heat ghee in a small pan,add mustard seeds and cumin seeds ,when they start
crackling add asafoetida,curry leaves and whole red chilli pieces .when
done add a pinch of kashmiri chilli powder and pour over the boiling rasam.and cook for 2 minute.
- Garnish with fresh chopped coriander.
- Serve with a spoon of ghee on top(optional)
- Serving suggestions-best served with vada ,idli aur boiled rice