Kantola ki sabzi -Spine gourd stir fried with potato and Indian spices-
Kantola /kankoda /Kakrol / teasel Gourd is from the gourd family and is a seasonal vegetable.It looks like a spiky melon and taste almost similar to bittergourd, sans its bitterness,or a mix taste of bitter gourd and parval.
Kantola ki sabzi is my daughters favorite stir fry,so today I am posting this recipe specially for her,so she can try this soon.
Its a very healthy vegetable as it possess very good nutritive and medicinal properties. It is rich in fiber and vitamins and is cooling to the body.
It is good for cough,fever,controls the sugar level,increase the appetite and good for kidneys so a very good vegetable to have during summers and monsoon.
You can add sliced potato in it or just make sabzi only with kantola only. kantols’s are not peeled just the edges are trimmed off. But do soak them in enough water for some time and then rub them well to remove all the dirt sticking on the outer surface. Slice kantola after rubbing and washing them well only.
Do try these delicious recipes-
- Achari Aloo
- Arbi Ki Bhujiya
- Soft Dahi Vada Recipe
- Instant Badam Halwa
- Bharwa Karela/ Stuffed Bitter gourd
- Khatta Meetha Karela/ Tangy Bitter gourd
Check the video Recipe-
Kantola ki Subzi
- 6 Kantola/Kakoda/ Teasel Gourd/Spine gourd
- 2 medium Potatoes / Aloo
- 1 tsp Fennel powder/ Pisi Saunf optional
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 3 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarson ka tel
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash and soak kantola's in water for 5 minutes.Rub and wash well (no need to peel them)and then trim the edges.Slice lengthwise to make medium size pieces.
- Wash and make similar pieces of potatoes with out peeling.(can also make without adding potatoes)
- Heat oil in a heavy pan and add cumin seeds and asafoetida.When seeds become golden add turmeric powder and chopped vegetables.Stir fry for few seconds,add then add salt.
- Mix and cover the pan and cook on low heat till done.Keep stirring in between,
- Add fennel powder,mango powder,chili powder and coriander powder.
- Stir fry for few seconds and then cover and simmer for a minute.
- Serve with daal-rice , khichdi or any Indian Bread of your choice
you can easily find this in Lulu hyper market, Choithram or any shop selling Indian vegetables
Yummy Mummy says
Never cooked this subzi. Looks good. I hope it is available in our sabji mandi.
This is not a vegetable I am familiar with but when you say it's like bitter gourd but not bitter, I am willing to give it a try. After all, I tried bitter gourd twice to make sure it had a fair chance. 🙂 Where do you buy it in Dubai?
looks very tempting n yummy…
Priya Suresh says
Never cooked with this veggie,subzi looks droolworthy.
Have never tried this veggie before.. But looks very tempting like karelas 🙂
Sanoli Ghosh says
Delicious and easy kankrol subzi. Bookmarked it! Will make it soon.
Kitchen Queen says
I like it with both potatoes and onions too. yummy
Kaveri Venkatesh says
I like this vegetable a lot…nice curry
Sowmya Madhavan says
I will buy this veggie next time.,thanks for sharing the recipe..
Sapana Behl says
Never knew about it! Looks yummy
Oh God… Yesterday only I saw this veggie in market n not knowing what it is n how to cook.. Didn't buy it… Next time will get it definitely… Good fry..
Pooja Agrawal says
wow…I love this sabzi that my mom makes…This looks too delicious and easy to follow..I will try soon luckily I m having kantola on my hand.
Chandrani Banerjee says
Kantola sabzi looks yummy. I will try it soon.
Sona S says
Looks very tempting and delicious.