Aloo palak ki sabzi /bhujiya – Quick and simple rustic style spinach and potato curry
Aloo palak ki sabzi is a classic combination,specially popular in North India.you can make it in so many ways, depending upon your choice. Some times I make a gravy curry with spinach or a dry dish to go with daal and rice. But this easy and quick aloo palak dish is semi dry so can be served with rice and roti both.
To make it quick and easy I have made it in the pressure cook, but if you want a dry curry then can make aloo palak ki sabzi in a pan/kadahi.
I have also posted few spinach recipe , Gobhi kofta in spinach gravy, Sindhi specialty spinach,lentil and mix veg curry- Sai bhaji , Himachali delicacy-Sepu vadi ,and Aloo Methi Bhujiya which is again a classic combination.
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates .
Aloo Palak ki Subzi
- 600 gms Potatoes / Aloo (4 medium))
- 350 gms Spinach / Palak (2 bunches)
- 3/4 cup Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 1.5 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- Salt / Namak to taste
- 4.5 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel *
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Trim the thick and hard ends of spinach and peel potatoes,no need to chop off the tender steams of spinach.
- Wash spinach and potatoes and then chop potatoes in big chunks and roughly chop spinach.
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker and add cumin and fenugreek seeds and let them crackle.
- Now add asafoetida, green chilies and tomatoes and stir for few seconds.
- Add potatoes and all the dry spices and stir for a minute.
- Now add chopped spinach and mix and stir for 2 minutes.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on medium heat for 2 whistles or till done
- Open the cooker when cool down completely.
- If you want a dry curry then boil it on high heat for 2-3 minutes to reduce the moisture.
- Serve with rice, chapati, paratha,poori or any bread of your choice.
I have done this several times. Very tasty and easy. I always added zucchini along with potatoes and spinach. Gives unique taste.
thank you 🙂
bristol plasterer says
this sounds good. Something new to try as well. thanks for sharing this recipe.
Priya Suresh says
Give me that plate, i will finish it rite now without any fuss.
you don't need to add water as spinach release water while cooking,which was enough for the vegetable to get cooked perfectly in the pressure cooker,but if you want more gravy then you can add little water.
Shouldn't we add little water while cooking in pressure cooker?
Tempting healthy dish
Sanoli Ghosh says
Loved this simple potato spinach curry….looks delectable.