Aloo palak ki subzi is a classic combination,specially popular in North India.you can make it in so many ways, depending upon your choice.Some times I make a gravy curry with spinach,some times a make a dry dish to go with daal and rice,but this easy and quick aloo palak dish is semi dry,which I make in a pressure cook, but if you want a dry curry then make aloo palak ki subzi in a pan/kadahi.
I have also posted few spinach recipe , Gobhi kofta in spinach gravy, sindhi speciality spinach,lentil and mix veg curry- Sai bhaji , Himachali delicacy-Sepu vadi ,and Aloo Methi Bhujiya which is again a classic combination.
Aloo Palak ki Subzi
- 600 gms Potatoes / Aloo (4 medium))
- 350 gms Spinach / Palak (2 bunches)
- 3/4 cup Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 1.5 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- Salt / Namak to taste
- 4.5 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel *
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Trim the thick and hard ends of spinach and peel potatoes,no need to chop off the tender steams of spinach.
- Wash spinach and potatoes and then chop potatoes in big chunks and roughly chop spinach.
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker and add cumin and fenugreek seeds and let them crackle.
- Now add asafoetida, green chilies and tomatoes and stir for few seconds.
- Add potatoes and all the dry spices and stir for a minute.
- Now add chopped spinach and mix and stir for 2 minutes.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on medium heat for 2 whistles or till done
- Open the cooker when cool down completely.
- If you want a dry curry then boil it on high heat for 2-3 minutes to reduce the moisture.
- Serve with rice, chapati, paratha,poori or any bread of your choice.