Cabbage Potato Curry- Stir Fried cabbage and Potato curry -specialty from Bengal
Cabbage Potato Curry -Today I am posting my children’s favorite patta gobhi aloo ki sabzi .I learned this from my neighbor whose mother-in-law was a Bengali. I am not sure whether this is an authentic Bengali recipe or her own creation.
The shredded cabbage is roasted in the tempering which gave a delicious taste to the cabbage potato curry. It taste just awesome and I am sure you all will love this delicious curry which goes well with roti and rice both.
How to make Bengali style Cabbage Potato Curry
This Bengali style Patta gobhi Aloo sabzi recipe is quite different then the usual recipe of making cabbage curry. Usually we just chop cabbage and add in the tempering and cook. But for making this curry first the cabbage is chopped finely .
After chopping it is added in the tempering and stir fried till the cabbage turn slight brown at the edges. The real taste of cabbage potato curry comes from the roasted cabbage so do it properly. Then tomatoes are added and cooked till soft and pulpy. After making them pulpy then spices and potato chunks are added in stir fried. Finally water is added and cooked on low heat. The quantity of water can be slightly adjusted as per your requirement.
You can also try these delicious Recipes-
You can subscribe to my youtube channel- Maayeka for new recipes every week
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback!
You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates .
Bengali Cabbage and Potato Curry
- 500 gms Cabbage/Pattagobhi
- 3 Potatoes medium
- 4 Tomatoes/Tamatar
- 2.5 tsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
- 1.5 tsp Coriander powder/ Dhaniya Powder
- 1/3 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- to Taste Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
For The Tempering
- 5 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds/ Rai
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds/ Saunf
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seed/ Methi Dana
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon/Daalchini
- 2 Cloves/ lavanag
- 2 Bayleaves
- 4 Dried whole red Chilies
- Slice the cabbage into 2 and then finely Shred the cabbage ( approx 5 cups)
- Peel and chop potatoes into medium size pieces and chop tomato into fine pieces.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan,add the tempering ingredients on low flame.
- When seeds start crackling and become golden in colour ,add the shredded cabbage and fry on high heat for 1 minute, then fry on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Keep stirring the cabbage,till the sides of cabbage become golden brown.(like the above pic) and don’t skip this ,as the main taste comes from the roasted cabbage.
- Now add the chopped tomato and salt and cover and cook on low flame till tomato become soft and mushy.
- Add chopped potatoes,turmeric, coriander powder and chili powder (reduce the amount of chili ,if you are not using kashmiri chill powder) fry for a minute and add 1.5 glasses of water.(water level should be approx.1.5 inch above the vegetable)
- Cook covered till done(approx 10 minutes) and if all the water is absorbed till now,then add some warm water(approx.1 cup) at this stage to have some gravy.
- Then add sugar and garam masala and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve hot.
- Serving suggestions-best with rice,khichdi ,roti or as a side dish
Love the recipe, but at what stage do you add the turmeric powder.
Can’t wait to try your other recipes. Thank you.
Thank you !I have updated the post.
will post the recipe video on my youtube channel – maayeka soon, hope you like the video recipe too
Very beautiful recipe, and a very nice site full of lovely recipes.
Very tastey recipe
Are the red chillies fresh or dried please?
Dried red chilies
superb dish… cabbage can b so tasty i realised only after ths recipe
thank u fr posting… looking forward to more dishes
Thank you Lakshmi !
I’m writing this to give thanks to the chef who posted it. Believe me the taste is so nice !& with such a few ingredients! 1st I couldn’t believe. I’ve tried cabbage with lot of ingredients e.g. onion,garlic,coconut,various lentils but nothing turns so tasty!Lovely! Thank you so much. Lots of love for you.
Thank you so much Emiliya !!Glad you liked it 🙂
Trying this recipe today.. Its cooking presently and I couldnt wait to write my comments even before tasting. Loved the look of this dish with simple ingredients. Over and above, the way you have written the finer details about the quantity, texture, cooking time at every stage…. great job!.
Thank You so much Harini!!
Posting immediately after trying it out. …awesome curry….never found cabbage so yummy
Thank You Laavaniya 🙂
Bhanu Vijayawada says
I have tried this recipe today usually I prepare cabbage in another way today I have seen this and tried it so tasty and yummy and very easy to prepare
Tried this yesterday and it was a super hit 🙂
i hv tried dis. its yummy
I have just discovered this website and think its amazing. I have cooked the Bengali cabbage and potato and it was truly delicious. I can't wait to try the other recipes. Thank you for providing this service. SKC
Hi, Thank you, Tried it this evening, My late mother was usually renowned for her Cabbage and Potato. Today, I knocked her off that pedestal. Was awesome…My wife is So jealous.. Thanks again.. Bhisham, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Abooooo supeer curry
Andi R says
I made this today and it's lovely. Really fresh taste. I did cauliflower paratha to go with it too.
I was looking for recipes with Cabbage and found your blog. Thank you for this recipe! We tried it at home and liked it. I have posted it on my site.
Tried this curry.. we liked it.. i love the way yours looks though
Rani Acharyulu says
Nice combo.. Looks yummy and very inviting..
Nayana Shetti says
NIce combo of cabbage with potatoes.
must give a try.
Lakshmi Venkatesh says
Makes me hungry, delicious.
Looks delicious. And with rotis it would be great.
Curry looks very inviting, nice combo..
Interesting combo n the curry sounds so yumm!!
Priya R says
lovely curry for roti 🙂 inviting indeed
Such a beautiful combo, curry makes me hungry.
A nice combo, looks tempting
lip smacking…wonderful clicks
Sushma Madhuchandra says
looks very tasty! I have some cabbage at home. Will try this soon!
Reshmi Mahesh says
New combo to me…Liked the way it is prepared…yum…
Meena B says
wonderful i think there is flavour of roasted cabbage plus other spices like fennel seeds etc
love it wud make it next time
like the combo.. easy and tempting.. perfect with roti..
srividhya Ravikumar says
love the curry..bookmarked it…
Arthy Suman says
Wow looks extremely delicious…I'm loving it..will definitely try this bookmarked…