Matar ke chilke aur aloo ki sabzi- A simple Rustic stir fry made with potato and peeled pea pod shells
Matar ke chilke aur aloo ki sabzi- As soon as winter season arrives the vegetable markets looks so vibrant and colourful with all types of red, orange, purple, white vegetables and fresh greens and this is the only time when we get so many varieties of fresh green leafy vegetables and fresh peas.
Everyone have their own favorite recipes and variations and we do keep learning and sharing new recipes from each other either from our family members, friends or from the social media sharing sites.
My grandmothers was a great cook and a very smart lady . She always tries to use and reuse things in some form or the other ,or to give to some needy and poor as she hates wastage of any kind. I still remember her peeling the pea pods the whole afternoon and then my mother makes a simple yet delicious stir fry with those peeled pods.
I do make a stir fry with whole fresh tender pea pods which I also learned from her . But peeling pea pods is not a thing which I do often but Yesterday when I brought very fresh and tender peas then I plan to make my grandmothers favorite stir fry so after shelling out the pea,I collected the pods and spend a good time peeling the pods .
When I made that for dinner ,every ones loved the matar ke chilke aur aloo ki sabzi . The sabzi looks like as if it was made with tender sem ki phali and aloo , no one can easily guess that it is actually made with peeled pea pods or Matar ki katar ki sabzi (as many call it by this name:)
I make so many recipes from fresh peas and my favourites are
- Aloo matar ki Tahiri ,
- Matar Gobhi ka Nimona,
- Chatpati Matar Ki Phali
- Methi Matar Malai.
- Minty Tomato Rice
- Aloo matar rasa
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Matar Ke chilke aur Aloo ki Sabzi
- 3 Potatoes / Aloo
- 250 gms Pea pods fresh
- 1 Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash pea pods and then separate the two parts of pod peel. Then slightly fold the top part and then taking it inside slide it down slowly to separate the plastic type peel from the tender shell and then throw the plastic part and keep the soft peel aside.
- Peel potato and chop to make medium thick slices.chop the pea pod peel to make 1 inch pieces.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and add cumin seeds, when it start to crackle add asafoetida,
- Now add turmeric powder and chopped potato and pea peels.
- Add salt ,chopped tomato and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook on low heat .
- keep stirring in beetween and cook till almost done.
- Add coriander powder,chili powder and mango powder and mix .
- Cover and cook for a minute.
- Serve with Daal rice combo, khichdi or Roti.