Papdi- crisp fried poories made with flour and semolina mildly flavored with cumin and carom seeds
Papdi are a important ingredients of Indian chat items. Though Papdis are easily available in the market and some chat vendors also sell these papdis but the quality of those are not good enough, as the oil they use is not of good quality and often there papdi stock is quite old and smell rancid or they are re fried thus they absorb a lot of oil so its better to easily make your own batch at home and enjoy.
Papdis can be used to make Papdi chat, sev poori, bhel poori, Dahi bhalla chat or they taste just awesome as a snack with a cup of hot tea or coffee. You can also carry as a travel food or give to your kids in their tiffin boxes.
I have deep fried the papdis but if you want to avoid frying then you can surely bake them in an oven at 180 degree or in the air fryer ,they turn good both ways.
I have used wheat flour,refined flour and semolina but you can make these with refined flour or only wheat flour both will give awesome results. For flavoring some cumin seeds and crushed carom seeds and pepper powder is added too.
If you are looking for some snacks for Diwali then do try-
- Elo Jhelo/ Champakali Chat
- Hara Bhara Kabab
- Matar Paneer Kachori
- Aloo Bhujiya Sev
- Sandwich Dhokla
- Moong Daal Khasta Kachori
- Aloo Samosa
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates .
Papdi recipe, How to make Papdi for chat
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour / Atta
- 1/2 cup Refined Flour / Maida
- 1/2 cup Semolina / Sooji
- 4 tbsp ghee or oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 3/4 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1/2 tsp Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch crushed
- salt to taste
- Enough oil To Deep fry
- Take a big and wide pan or deep plate and add refined flour,wheat flour,semolina,pepper,cumin,carom,salt and 4 tbsp melted ghee.
- Mix every thing and rub well with your palms so the ghee will mix well with the flour,there should be no lumps of ghee in the flour mixture, it should looks like bread crumbs mixture.
- Add water and make a medium stiff dough,cover with a plate and let it rest for 1/2 hour.
- Make 4 -5 balls of equal size and then roll each ball to make thin chapatis.
- Prick the chapAti all over with a fork so the papdi will not puff up like pooris.
- Now with a round cookie cutter or any round lid or small glass ,cut roundels from the rolled chapati.
- Make papdis from all the dough balls and spread on a kitchen napkin.
- Now heat enough oil in a deep wide pan or kadhai.
- Slide few papdis at a time in the hot oil and deep fry on medium heat till they turn golden and crisp from both the sides.
- Drain the fried papdis on a paper napkin to absorb all the extra oil.
- Store in a air tight jar when cool down completely.
Amit kumar says
Wow.. You have written it so well. Great going