Peanut Coconut Chutney -a delicious healthy dip of peanuts and fresh coconut
Peanut coconut chutney is a very popular chutney from Southern India. it is served with most of the tiffin items and as a side dish with your main course. This chutney is very easy to make with the readily available ingredients in your pantry. It is a quite flexible recipe ,you can adjust the ratio of peanuts and coconut according to your preference and availability.
The peanuts and the red chilies are roasted before adding in the Peanut coconut chutney. There is no need to remove the skin from the roasted peanuts as it adds the fiber and gives a nice colour to the chutney. for a quicker version you can use roasted peanuts instead of using raw and then roasting them.
Traditionally whole red chilies are added in the chutney but if they are not in your pantry then you can use the fresh green chilies instead.just the colour will be slight different but taste awesome both ways.
This peanut coconut chutney goes well with Idli ,Dosa, vada, upma , rice or any snack of your choice. Keep it refrigerated for a long shelf life.
Looking for more chutney recipes then do try-
- Ginger chutney
- Red Coconut Chutney
- Amrood Pudina Chutney
- Rajkot Chutney
- Tomato Thokku
- Peanut and Tomato Chutney
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Peanut Coconut Chutney
- 1 cup Peanuts/ Moongphali
- 1/2 cup Fresh coconut grated
- 4 Dried Whole Red Chilies
- small piece Tamarind/ imli lemon size ball
- 1.5 tbsp Ginger/adrak chopped
- To Taste salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds/ rai
- 1.5 tsp White lentil/urad daal
- 1 tsp Bengal gram/chana daal
- 12 Curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida /hing
- 2.5 tbsp Cooking oil
- 2 Dried red chilies
- Take around 1/4 cup water and soak the tamarind in it for around 15 minutes. then mash it and take out the pulp.
- Dry roast the peanuts in a pan on low heat till they start shedding there skin. remove from the pan and keep aside.
- In the same pan add 1.5 tsp oil and roast the dried red chilies on low heat till it changes its colour and become darker .remove the chilies and keep aside
- In the mixer jar add the roasted peanuts, tamrind pulp, roasted red chili,fresh coconut,chopped ginger and salt.
- Grind to make a smooth paste,add water to adjust the consistency.
- Take out the prepared chutney in a bowl
- Tadka-Heat a pan and add 1.5 tbsp oil and then add the urad daal,chana daal and the mustard seeds , when it start crackling add hing ,dried red chilies and curry leaves.after few seconds add this tadka over the chutney and mix.
- keep refrigerated for a long shelf life.
- Serving suggestions- goes well with idli,dosa ,vada ,rice or any snack of your choice
- you can adjust the ratio of peanut and coconut according to your preference and availability.
- Amount of red chili depend on your taste preference.