Beguni- Gram flour batter coated deep fried brinjal fritters-specialty from the state of Bengal
Beguni/ Baigan pakoda- Beguni is a very special crisp delicious snack from the state of Bengal. This Snack originated from Bangladesh and now is a favorite snack of Bengal and Bangladesh both. It is the most favorite street food of Bengal. Bengali people loved fried fritters named as Tel -Bhaja and beguni is among the favorite one.
Beguni is served as a snack with tea and puffed rice/ muri and as a side dish with Khichuri and daal- bhaat. It is a perfect snack on a rainy day or during winter .
Making Beguni is quite easy and simple- You need some fresh brinjals to make this beguni. Cut brinjals into thin slices. You can make roundels or slice them lengthwise or if the brinjal is quite big then can slice into half moons also. Cut which ever way suits you or depending on the size of the brinjal.
Make batter of gram flour and add little rice flour for crispiness. some nigella seeds/ kalonji and poppy seeds are added in the batter along with salt, chili powder ,turmeric and baking powder.
Tips for making Crisp Beguni
Choose good quality fresh brinjal with less seeds. Slice brinjal into thin slices, if you make thick slices then it may remain uncooked from inside and don’t become crisp. Add rice flour or corn flour in the batter, it helps to make it crispier. Add baking powder or some soda in the batter and whisk the batter well so the beguni will puff up well while frying. Use Mustard oil for frying for the authentic taste. Fry on medium heat only.
You may like to try these delicious Recipes-
- Matar Kachori
- Bengali Mishti Pulao
- Pinwheel Samosa
- Sooji Corn Balls
- Tandoori Aloo
- Indrani Cup/ Angoori Rabdi
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Bengali Beguni Recipe
- 2 medium Brinjals / Baingan
- 1 cup Gram flour / Besan
- 3 tbsp Rice Flour / Chawal Ka Atta
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1/3 tsp Nigella Seeds / Kalonji
- 1/2 tsp Poppy seeds /khaskhas
- Pinch Soda -Bi -Carb
- 1 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- 1 tbsp Hot oil to add in the batter
- 3/4 cup Water approx
- Enough Cooking oil to deep fry
- Remove the stem and then wash the brinjal and pat dry.
- Using a sharp knife slice brinjal into thin slices of approx 1/4 inch thickness.
- Take a deep wide bowl and add besan, rice flour, salt, chili powder,turmeric, poppy seeds, soda and Nigella seeds.
- Mix everything and then add water to make a medium thick batter of coating consistency.
- Whisk it well to make a lump free smooth batter
- Heat enough oil in a wide deep pan/ kadhai for deep frying the beguni.
- When the oil become hot then take 1 tbsp hot oil from the kadhai and add that in the batter and mix.(This helps to make them crispier)
- Now take brinjal slices and dip in the batter, coat both sides perfectly and then gently slide into the hot oil.
- Make in batches ,don't add too much slices in the pan else they will not cook properly.
- Fry Beguni's on medium heat from both the sides till they become golden and crisp.
- When done, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on a kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.
- Sprinkle some kala namak or chat masala on the beguni .
- Serve crisp Beguni with masala Chai and puffed rice/ Muri.