Kosambari -A very simple ,healthy and easy to make soaked lentil and fresh vegetable salad.
Kosambari is a healthy and easy to make salad and then main ingredients is soaked lentil/ daal. Kosambari is a traditional recipe from South India and made on all festival and wedding there. It is also made on the occasion of Ram Navmi festival.
Kosambari can be made with either soaked chana daal, Yellow moong daal or with sprouts also. But the most popular is soaked yellow lentil/ moong daal as it is easy to digest in all seasons. You can make it with a single vegetable or mix a few , depends on individual choice or availability of ingredients.
In south it is popular as Kosambari or Koshambari and in Marathi it is popular as Koshambir.
Kosambari can be made with different vegetables but carrot and cucumber are the most favorite ones. Some prefer to add freshly grated coconut which gives a nice texture and taste . After mixing the lentil and grated or chopped vegetables a flavorful tadka of mustard seeds , asafoetida and curry leaves are added in the kosambari which gives a very nice flavor and taste to it.
Kosambari is very healthy and can be served as a side dish or salad with your meal. It is very nutritious because lentils are rich in protein and the vegetables are also added raw so all the nutrition are retained in them. Carrots and cucumber are high in fiber and minerals so good for digestion and aids in weight loss too. It is almost oil free as very little oil is used in the tempering or you can skip the tadka if you wish too.
There is no fixed proportion of lentil and vegetables so you can adjust according to your taste preference . I often make it with carrot and cucumbers but this time some pomegranate pearls are lying in the refrigerator so added them too . You can mix lentils and vegetables and keep refrigerated but add the seasoning just before serving else it become soggy and watery after adding salt.
You can also check these recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Kosambari Salad/ Carrot cucumber Kosambari
- 1/3 cup Yellow Lentil / Moong Daal (dhuli huee)
- 2 Cucumber / Kheera / Kakdi
- 2 Carrot / Gajar
- 1/2 cup Pomegranate pearls /Anar ka dana optional
- 1 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 12 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- Pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/3 tsp White lentil/urad daal optional
- Wash moong daal and soak in enough water for 2 hours or minimum 30 minutes.
- Now drain the water from the lentil and keep it in a strainer or colander for some time.
- Peel and grate or finely chop the carrot and chop the cucumber and keep aside.
- Take a deep mixing bowl and add the soaked lentil, chopped cucumber and carrot,pomegranate pearls chopped green chili and mix well(can add 3-4 tbsp grated coconut at this step)
- Add lemon juice and chopped fresh coriander and mix well.
- Heat oil in a small pan and then add the mustard seeds and the urad daal
- when mustard seeds start crackling then add the asafoetida, dried red chili and curry leaves.
- Add the tempering in the prepared salad and mix well.
- Refrigerate the salad and serve chilled for best result.
- Add salt just before serving, else cucumber will start releasing water because of the salt.
- Serve Kosambari as a side dish or salad with your meal. You can also have this as a healthy breakfast with some toasted brown bread.