Bhindi Masala- Okra cooked with tomato and basic Indian spices
Bhindi Masala- Okra or bhindi is a seasonal vegetable, easily available during summer season,though now we get most of the vegetable through out the year but seasonal vegetable have a special taste. Bhindi is usually everybody’s favorite vegetable,specially kids like it the most.
Those who avoid okra is just due to its sliminess ,which can be easily avoided if cooked properly. People usually make 2 mistakes due to which okra becomes slimy the first is wet raw okra , it is essential to wipe dry the okra before chopping .
You should never wash it after chopping , and second is u should not add water to the dish while cooking as that to shall increase the sliminess of the dish , if these two steps are taken care of rest assured you will enjoy okra as much as i do.
Another step to remove the sliminess is after tempering it in oil saute it for some time before covering it with a lid and the last tip is to add some mango powder to give taste and to avoid sliminess and yes don’t over cook it.
Every one in my family loves them specially my kids love every preparation of okra so I often make bhindi –bhindi kadi , kurkuri bhindi and bhindi aloo are their favourite dishes.
This Bhindi masala is a easy and popular recipe .It is a most ordered dish of every restaurant menu . The secret to this awesome recipe is the addition of a little sambhar powder which gives a nice flavor to the dish.
Do try these Delicious Recipes-
- Achari Gobhi
- Guvar Phali Ki Sabzi
- Valor Muthiya Ki Sabzi
- Lucknawi Daal
- Matar Mushroom Pulao
- Rajkot Chutney
You can subscribe to my youtube channel- Maayeka for new recipe videos every week
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
How to Make Bhindi Masala
- 300 gms Okra/Bhindi
- 1 medium Tomato chopped
- 1 Green Chili /hari Mirch
- 1.5 tsp Ginger/Adrak Grated
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/Haldi
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder/Dhaniya
- 1/2 tsp Mango Powder/ Amchor
- 1 tsp Sambhar masala
- To Taste Salt
- 2.5 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- Wash and wipe okra with a kitchen towel and then make a slit in between and chop into two big pieces.
- Chop tomato and green chills and grate the ginger.
- Heat oil in a pan ,add cumin,when it crackle then add green chillis ,stir for a while then add chopped tomatos and salt.cover and cook for 1 minute.
- When tomato become soft ,add all the spices except mango powder,stir for 1/2 minute then add chopped lady finger's ,mix well and cover with a lid and cook on slow heat till done(approx 5-8 minutes).
- When done add mango powder or 1 t.s lemon juice and mix well.
- Serve hot with roti, paranthas aur rice
you can deep fry the ladyfinger's and then add to the fried masala ,cover and cook for 2 minutes
Priya Suresh says
Never get bored of this bhindi masala,my fav anytime.
Sireesha Puppala says
my all time favourite vegetable..looks very delicious
Michal jerry says
Bhindi masalas are my favorite
thanks for sharing
Looks yummy , love bhindis….
Madhavi K says
One of my favorites. Looks too good.
Veena Theagarajan says
yum! love it.. look at the color
Neelu A Ahmed says
Bhindi masalas are my favorite! Thank you for sharing such 'doable' vegetarian recipes.