Lauki Bharta- A delicious and easy to make bottle gourd and tomato mash
Lauki bharta is a delicious and easy to make recipe which is quite different then the regular lauki ki sabazi. Lauki / doodhi/ ghiya/ bottle gourd is a summer special recipe which contain 96 % water and is very easy to digest. It helps in digestion, gastric trouble, good for almost every type of illness so patients can easily have it , cure jaundice, ulcers and helps to reduce weight .
Lauki is considered among the top recommended vegetables in Ayurveda as it is very quick and easy to digest so this is very good for sick and weak patients. You can also give the boiled bottle gourd to infants.
It is very healthy and easily available during summer season and is very reasonably priced so consumed in most of the Indian families though many don’t like its simple and mild taste but if you combine it with some lentil, tomato, lemon etc. then it taste very good. Personally I feel that lauki taste best when cooked with fresh herbs and less spices . I avoid adding dry powder spices in lauki and prefer to add fresh green chilies, ginger ,fresh coriander and lemon juice .
How To Make Lauki KA Bharta-
There are 3 ways to make Lauki Bharta-
- If you have very fresh and tender lauki then You can grate lauki and add in the prepared tomato masala, cover and cook till lauki become soft .
- I prefer this way – Pressure cook chopped bottle gourd separately and then mash it coarsely. Then make masala of tomatoes and add the mashed bottle gourd in it and cook till its done.
- You can steam cook the grated lauki instead of cooking in the pressure cooker.
You can also check these recipes-
- Lauki Moong Daal
- Aloo Parwal Sabzi
- Arbi Ki Bhujiya
- Microwave Mug Cake
- Chutney Pulao
- Tomato Rasam
- Lauki Ka Raita
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Lauki Ka Bharta
- 750 gm Bottle Gourd / Lauki
- 3 medium Tomatoes / Tamatar 350 gm
- 2 Green chili/hari mirch chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Kashmiri Chili powder
- To Taste Salt
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- Pinch Sugar / Chini optional
- 4 tbsp Cooking oil
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee optional
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Dried Red Chili, Whole
- Wash and peel the lauki/ bottle gourd (try to select tender fresh lauki for making bharta)
- Discard the hard mature seeds and chop lauki into small pieces.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in the pressure cooker and add the chopped lauki pieces and saute for a minute.
- Add 1/2 cup water and pressure cook for at least 3-4 whistles or cook till it become soft and mushy.
- Open the cooker when it cool down completely then drain the water and mash the cooked lauki with a ladle or slightly mash with a hand blender, don't make a fine paste ,just make a coarse paste. (use the drained water in any curry or to make the chapati dough)
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a heavy bottom pan and add cumin seeds, when cumin start crackling then add asafoetida and the dried whole red chilies.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and green chilies, saute for a minute and then cover with a lid and cook till tomato become soft.
- Now add kashmiri chili powder and turmeric in the tomato mixture and cook till oil start releasing from the sides.
- Now add the mashed lauki ,salt, sugar and chopped ginger in the prepared tomato puree and cook for at least 5 minute on medium heat. keep stirring it.
- Switch off the heat and add lemon juice, fresh chopped coriander and ghee in the bharta and mix well
- Serve hot lauki bharta with chapati or paratha.