Jeera Aloo/ Vrat ke Jeera Aloo- Cumin and pepper flavoured potato roast for fasting
vrat ke jeera aloo is a very easy and quick to make recipe for fasting. You just need some boiled potatoes and your stir fried aloo will be ready in just 5 minutes.You can serve these jeera aloo with any type of poori and paratha.
As these potatoes are cooked for Navaratri/ Ekadashi so made with very basic ingredients. During Hindu religious fasting only few spices, flour , vegetables are allowed to consume, There may be little difference in each family tradition.
For the detailed post on what to consume during fasting check my this blog post-
Making vrat ke aloo is very quick and easy. You can make this aloo fry with boiled potatoes or add chopped raw potatoes in the tempering, cover and cook till done. Saute the potatoes for 2-3 minutes on medium high heat so potatoes will roast nicely. Then add pepper powder and mango powder or lemon juice and mix well. Roast again for 2 minutes and then add chopped fresh coriander and mix.
Serve these jeera aloo with –
- Kuttu ki poori
- Rajgiri aloo poori
- Rajgiri paratha
- Paneer ki kheer
- Aloo ka halwa
- Phool makhana Namkeen
Check the jeera aloo video of Maayeka youtube channel and like and subscribe the channel if you like my recipes
Vrat Ke Jeera Aloo Recipe | How To Make Jeera Aloo for Fasting
- 500 gms Potatoes / Aloo
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 4 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- 1.5 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- to Taste Sendha Namak /Rock Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder / Kali Mirch
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya optional
- Boil potatoes , peel and chop into cubes.
- Heat oil or ghee in a heavy bottom pan and add cumin seeds, when it start to sizzle then add asafoetida.
- Add chopped green chilies and curry leaves and stir.
- Add the chopped potatoes in the pan and stir to mix.
- Cook on medium high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add salt, pepper powder and mango powder and stir to mix everything.
- Roast for 2 minutes and then add chopped fresh coriander and mix.
- Serve hot with poori or paratha.
I am glad to find your website. Though I have been a Home-Science graduate from Normal Niketan College, College of Home Science, I still have to learn so many things. Thank you
Thank you !