Masala Vada- A crisp and delicious lentil cutlet from southern India
preparation time-10 min
cooking time-5 min
- Chana daal(bengal gram)-1.5 cup
- Moong daal(yellow lentils)-1cup
- Green chillies-6
- Ginger-1 tbls
- Curry leaves-2.5 tbls
- Cumin seeds-1.5 t.s
- Fresh coriander-4 tbls
- Pepper corns-15
- Chopped raw mango-2 tbls(optional)
- Fennel seeds-1.5 t.s
- Asafoetida-1/2 t.s
- Baking soda-1.2 t.s
- Salt-1.5 ts
- Wash and soak both the lentils seperately for approx.3 hours.
- Take out half cup soaked bengal gram and keep aside.(A)
- Now drain water and mix both the lentils
- Take lentils in the mixer jar add 1 t.s curry leaves, green chilli and ginger and grind coarsly
- Now add fennel seeds,curry leaves and pepper corns and pulse(crush) again for few seconds,add just 1-2 tbls of water to make a thick mixture.
- Take the mixture in a bowl, add the soaked chana daal (A) cumin seeds,fresh coriander, chopped curry leaves,chopped raw mango, asafoetida,salt and baking soda.
- Mix the lentil mixture well, grease your palm,and take a small portion from the mixture and make a slightly flat tikki.
- Deep fry in hot oil on medium heat
- Serve hot
Note-if you have added little extra water and not able to make cutlets then don’t worry,just make medium size fritters(pakoda)from the mixture:)they will taste equally delicious.
Variation-you can deep fry these vadas till half done ,take out and then press them slightly with your palms and deep fry again for a much crisper vadas.
Serving suggestions-best served with coconut chutney,tomato ketchup or yoghurt dip