Masala Vada- A crisp and delicious lentil cutlet from southern India
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
- 1.5 cup Bengal Gram/ Chana Daal
- 3/4 cup Yellow lentil/ Moong daal
- 6 Green Chili/ Hari Mirch
- 1 tbsp Ginger/ Adrak
- 2.5 tbsp Curry Leaves Chopped
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander/ Hra Dhaniya
- 4 tbsp Raw Mango Chopped
- 1.5 tsp Cumin Seed/ Jeera
- 15 Pepper corn/ Kali Mirch
- 1.5 tsp Fennel Seeds/ Saunf
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- To Taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- Wash and soak both the lentils seperately for approx.3 hours.Take out half cup soaked bengal gram and keep aside.(A)
- Now drain water and mix both the lentils
- Take lentils in the mixer jar add 1 t.s curry leaves, green chilli and ginger and grind coarsly
- Now add fennel seeds,curry leaves and pepper corns and pulse(crush) again for few seconds,add just 1-2 tbls of water to make a thick mixture.
- Take the mixture in a bowl, add the soaked chana daal (A) cumin seeds,fresh coriander, chopped curry leaves,chopped raw mango, asafoetida,salt and baking soda.
- Mix the lentil mixture well, grease your palm,and take a small portion from the mixture and make a slightly flat tikki.
- Deep fry in hot oil on medium heat and when become golden and crisp then drain on a paper napkin.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or mint chutney