Veg kathi rolls -Healthy and filling vegetables rolls made with Indian tortillas-street food of Calcutta
I have heard a lot about Calcutta’s famous Egg rolls which is a very popular road side snack,every road and street have these egg roll stalls,so wanted to try a vegetarian version of these rolls,so I replaced eggs with dosa batter.
Traditionaly whipped egg is applied on the paratha and cooked and then a delicious and healthy salad of assorted vegetables is stuffed inside with a generous squeeze of lemon juice and pepper powder or chat masala and then tomato ketcup is drizzled over it and then rolled tightly and wrapped in a foil.
These rolls are very easy to prepare and are healthier then other fried snacks,you can also add some grilled paneer or vegetables tikkas inside it to make it more delicious and filling.
Prep time-15 min
Cooking time-15 min
- Refined flour-1.5 cup
- Baking powder- 1/3 tsp
- Cooking oil- 2 Tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Dosa batter- 1 cup
- Cucumber,sliced-1 cup
- Capsicum,sliced- 1/2 cup
- Red bell peppers,sliced- 1/2 cup
- Cabbage,shredded- 1/2 cup
- Jalapenos,chopped- 1.5 tsp
- Lemon juice- 3/4 tsp
- Pepper powder-1/2 tsp
- Tomato ketchup-4 tsp
- Chat masala- 3/4 tsp
- Red Chili chutney/Red chili sauce- 2.5 tsp *
- Take a bowl and add refined flour,salt,oil and baking powder and mix.
- Now add water and make a medium soft dough,cover and rest the dough for 15 minutes.
- Make medium size balls from the dough and roll to make a medium thick paratha.or make a lachcha paratha.
- On a heavy griddle,cook the paratha so that it will lightly roast from both the sides and then keep side.
- Add some salt and pepper powder in the dosa batter and mix well.
- Heat a non stick pan and pour a laddle of dosa batter and spread to make a dosa of the size of paratha.
- When the dosa get half cooked ,place the paratha over it and press gently so it will stick with the dosa batter.
- Apply 1 tsp of oil on both the sides and cook till done,remove the paratha from the griddle,
- Repeat the process with all the parathas.
- Assemble -Place a paratha on a plate with dosa batter side up, and apply some red chili chutney/chili sauce in the centre of the paratha.
- Place shredded cabbage,capsicum,sliced jalapeno and cucumber on it.
- Now sprinkle some pepper powder,chat masala and lemon juice over the vegetables.
- Drizzle tomato ketchup and roll the paratha tightly to make a neat roll.
- Wrap the roll in a paper napkin or foil and serve hot.
1-Can use ready made parathas to make this or for a low fat version can use chapatis to make thse rolls.