Paratha or parotta is the popular bread of India specially from North India and Punjab.Parathas are made in many ways and varieties but this lachcha paratha is very popular due to its crispiness and flakiness, its little tricky to make but not difficult at all.This can be enjoyed with any spicy gravy curry or bean curry. It can be made either with wheat flour or refined flour or with the mix of both. little extra oil is used to make this then the regular paratha. .you can use either oil or ghee to make it.
There are 2-3 methods to make lachcha paratha but I prefer to make this way,as it gives best result.
first the dough ball is rolled then a paste of oil and flour is applied all over the paratha and then it is folded like a chinese paper fan and then it is twisted to make a round roll.you can also make the rolls ahead (till step 11)and then the final rolling and shollow frying can be done at the time of serving.
Prep time -15 min
Cooking time -15 min
Cuisine – Mughlai, Indian
Difficulty level – medium
Type – Main
- Wheat flour /atta- 3 cup
- Cooking oil- 3 tbsp + to shallow fry
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Take a big and deep vessel and add flour,oil and salt.
- Mix everything very well.
- Add water to make a medium soft dough.
- Cover the dough with a moist cloth and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Now make medium size ball from the dough
- Dust the dough ball and roll to make a medium thick roti/disc
- In a small bowl take 3 tbsp of cooking oil and add 2 tbsp of flour and mix well.
- Now apply 1.5 tsp of this oil and flour mixture over the rolled roti /disc.
9 . Fold the roti the way we make a paper fan or pleat a saree.
10. When completely folded, slightly stretch the folded dough and pull it lengthwise to give it a slight stretch.
11.Now roll it to make a circle.
13. Dust it with some dry flour and roll it gently to make paratha of medium thickness ,don’t roll it too thin,it should be medium thick
14. Now put the rolled paratha on a medium hot tawa/griddle and cook for a minute.
15. Turn the side and cook till few brown spot appears on it.
16. Apply some oil or ghee all over the paratha and flip the side.
17. Press paratha with a spatula and cook till it become golden in colour.
18. Repeat the same process with other side too.
19. Remove from the tawa/griddle and crush it slightly from the sides with your hands or use a cloth
20 .Serve hot with any curry of your choice.
Instead of wheat flour/atta you can also use refined flour/maida or multi grain flour to make this as malabar paratha.