Malai kofta -Stuffed cottage cheese kofta simmered in a creamy tomato sauce
Malai kofta is a classic dish of North India,a must and favorite dish of every restaurant menu card. The melt in mouth Koftas are made with grated paneer and boiled potatoes and stuffed with nuts and saffron ,the rich and creamy sauce is made with tomatoes,cashews and cream.
There are few versions of making this creamy sauce and the color of the gravy depends on the spices and ingredients used. You can substitute potato with khoya or boiled mashed banana for a Jain version. You can also prepare the koftas and gravy before and just heat them before serving.
These fried koftas can also be served as a snack with a tangy sauce or dip.
You may also like these delicious recipes-
- Milk Masala Powder
- Beetroot Raita
- Paneer Bhurji
- Masala Hari Mirch
- Gajar Gobhi Shalgum ka Achar
- Punjabi kala Chana Masala
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
How To Make Malai Kofta
For making Kofta
- 1 cup Cottage cheese / Paneer
- 4 medium Potatoes / Aloo boiled
- 3 tsp Cashew Nuts / Kaju chopped
- 2 tsp Raisins / Kishmish chopped
- 2.5 tbsp Arrowroot / Corn Flour / Tapkir
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder
- 1 tsp Green chilies/Hari Mirch
- 1/4 tsp Saffron / Kesar
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- 2 tbsp Fresh coriander chopped
- 1/4 tsp Pepper Powder / Kali Mirch
- To Taste Salt- to taste
For Making Gravy
- 5 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 1/4 cup Cashew Nuts / Kaju
- 1/2 cup Fresh cream or milk
- 2 Green chilies/Hari Mirch
- 1 inch Ginger / Adrak
- 1 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 1.5 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Dried Fenugreek / Kasoori Methi
- Pinch of Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1/3 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder
- pinch Clove powder
- 2 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 3/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- In a big bowl mash together 3 boiled potatoes,1/2 cup paneer,salt,chili powder,corn flour(or soak 1.5 bread slice in water, squeeze and use instead of corn flour)chopped fresh coriander and garam masala,mix well-mixture A
- In a seperate bowl, take 1/2 cup paneer(mash and make it smooth),chopped cashew pieces,chopped raisins, saffron(soaked in 1/2 tsp of warm milk),cardamom powder,pepper powder and pinch of salt and mix well.-mixture B
- Take a small portion from the mixture A and flatten it and then stuff it with a small ball made with the mixture B and then roll and make round balls from it.
- Roll the balls in dry corn flour and then dust off the extra corn flour.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and deep fry the koftas till golden in colour.
- Drain on a tissue paper and keep aside.
- -Boil the tomatoes and then grind with 2 green chilies and ginger
- Soak cashew nuts in warm water for 15 minutes and then drain the water and grind cashews to make a smooth paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil+1tbsp of butter in a pan and add bay leaves and a pinch of fenugreek seeds and fry for few seconds
- Now add tomato puree and cook for approx 2-3 minutes, partially cover the pan with a lid to avoid splattering.
- Then add turmeric,chili powder,cardamom powder,clove powder(or 2 cloves) and cashew paste.
- Mix well and saute till the oil start seperating from the sides of the pan.
- Now add approx 1.5 to 2 cups of water and let it simmer till it thickens,will take approx 10 minutes.
- Add sugar,cream, garam masala and crushed kasoori methi.
- Simmer for a minute and then add chopped fresh coriander and 1 tsp butter
- Just before serving arrange the hot koftas in the serving dish and pour the hot gravy over them.
- Serving suggestions-serve with jeera rice,pulao or naan
@Hi Neha-white gravy is made with boiled onion and cashew paste but as I never use onions in my cooking the only tip I can give you is to skip addition of turmeric powder:)
Neha Gupta says
Hi! This looks really yummy.But my 4 yr old son likes white malai kofta, so can u please tell me how to go about making white gravy for malai kofta
Looks yummy and delicious. Lovely clicks.
Droolworthy dish..perfect for potluck party 🙂
sushmita pandit says
Malai kofta luks delicious and mouth waterng 🙂 Sushmita
Luks soo soo soo yummm…Am drooling..Vil try it for sure
Archana Potdar says
Looks yummy.Just today hubby was asking me if I wanted paneer should have said yes. 🙂
Kitchen Queen says
yummy gravy for this koftas.
Gayathri Ramanan says
looks so good..super tempting clicks..
looks like restaurant made.. simply awesome..
Sowmya Madhavan says
woow..that looks so rich and delicious..
kausers kitchen says
Malai kofta looks mouthwatering, drooling here.
Kaveri Venkatesh says
looks mouthwatering …just love it
Meena B says
wow delicious my favourite
now that i know i can cook this at home instead of waitin for it at restaurant i would really make it as soon as i can
this is too good
book marking to try anjana
Sona S says
Looks absolutely delicious.
Looks super delicious