Till Ki Chikki- Sesame seed and pistachio Brittle
Till Ki Chikki is a popular winter delicacy In India .It is specially made during winter and the festival of Sankranti and Lohri in Punjab and other Northern Indian states.I made this on Uttarayan but didn’t get time to post it. Traditionally during Sankranti and Lohri lot of snacks and sweets are made using peanuts ,jaggary,puffed rice and sesame seeds as it is considered auspicious to eat and distribute among your family and friends.But you can make this chikki and enjoy any time any where .
Sesame seeds are very healthy as they are very rich in protein, calcium, Iron and Phosphorous .It help to reduce high blood pressure,prevent heart diseases, Boost bone health,prevents Asthma and many more health benefits.
This tiny seed is full of health and energy so we should try to incorporate it in our diet. I add 2 tsps of sesame seeds in my chapati dough regularly and try adding in stir fries like this Broccoli and carrot stir fry . Sesame is also used in many Gujarti snacks like this healthy – Khaman dhokla , and this Palak Methi Muthiya .This simple yet flavourful Till Moongphali ke Aloo ki sabzi taste awesome with poori and parathas.So there are many ways to add it in our food .
Do try this easy,quick and crisp Till Pista ki chikki recipe this winter season .You can also pack this in your kids lunchbox as a sweet treat .They will surely love this homemade chikki!
till ki chikki
- 3/4 cup Sugar / Chini
- 1 cup sesame seeds /til
- 2 tbsp Pistachio / Pista sliced
- 1 tsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder
- Take a big flat metal plate and grease it with little oil or ghee or grease your kitchen counter top.
- In a pan add the sesame seeds and roast for 3-4 minutes on low heat till they start to crackle ..(don't over roast else they will taste bitter)
- In a deep and heavy bottom pan add ghee and let it melt and then add sugar and keep stirring till sugar melts completely .
- Now switch off the heat and add the roasted sesame seeds,sliced pistachio ,cardamom powder and mix well and quickly.
- Now transfer this mixture on the counter top or on the plate and spread it evenly with a spatula.
- Now grease your rolling pin and try to roll it as thin as possible with the rolling pin.
- You can also put a cling film over the mixture before rolling it with the rolling pin.
- Now make square marks with a a knife or with a pizza cutter.
- Separate the pieces when they cool down completely.
- Store in a air tight box and enjoy !