Sem aloo Ki Sabji-/Hyacinth beans/broad beans and potato stir fry – cooked the North Indian way.
Sem aloo ki sabji- Sem Ki phali aur Flat beans are available during winter season.These beans are very different from Guvar ki phali or long beans though people often confuse between these beans. Sem ki phali is a flat bean with oval seeds onside . When the sem phali ripens the seeds turn purplish dark or brown in color but still both the beans and the seeds are edible.
How to Clean Sem Ki Phali
Sem Ki phali is quite fibrous and we have to remove the strings from both the sides of the phali else it will not taste good and you will feel the hard fibers while eating.Then most important thing to remember is to slit open the pod after removing the side string as many times the pod from inside was not good .There may be few worms hidden inside or the seeds may be rotten. So very impotent to open and check the pod .
After cleaning the sem phali you can either chop it into small pieces ,keep it whole or chop into 2-3 big pieces like I prefer to do .It depends on how you want to make it. Sem ki Phali is best paired with potatoes . Sem Phali is quite heavy to digest so Hing and carom seeds/ ajwain should be added in the tempering of making Sem aloo ki sabzi to make it delicious and easy to Digest.
I have also posted these recipes of making sem ki sabzi-
- Valor Muthiya Nu Shaak
- Sem Baigan Ki Sabzi
- Guvar phali ki subzi
- Ker Sangri Ki Sabzi
- Guvar aloo Ki Sabzi
- Valor Muthiya Ki Sabzi
- Sem baigan Ki Sabzi
- Beans Thoran
you can subscribe to my youtube channel- Maayeka for new recipe videos every week
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Sem Aloo ki Subzi / Broad Beans and Potato stir fry
- 250 gms Sem Phali /Broad beans/ Avaraikai
- 2 medium Potatoes / Aloo
- 1 small Tomato / Tamatar chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 2.5 TBSP Mustard Oil / Sarson ka tel
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- Wash the beans,chop the ends and then de-String the broad beans by pulling with your fingers or use with a potato or carrot peeler
- Then tear open from one side(this is important) and check for any worm or rotten seeds and then chop into medium size pieces.
- Discard the hard black (as they are hard to cook and sometimes bitter in taste) and use white and green seeds only.
- Peel and chop potatoes into medim size pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the tempering,when become golden add turmeric and chopped potato and beans.
- Stir and add salt and cover and cook for approx 3 minutes.
- Open the lid and add in ginger and tomatoes,mix cover and cook till almost cooked.(keep stiring in between)
- Now add all the remaining spices and coconut,mix,cover and cook for 1 minute or till cooked completely.
- Serve hot with rice or chapati/ any Indian Bread or daal -rice combo
Maha Gadde says
looks healthy and delicious 🙂
Never tried this combo, curry looks awesome..
Thats a wonderful subzi, love with rotis.
Kalpana Sareesh says
Sireesha Puppala says
Perfect for rotis n breads
Saraswathi Tharagaram says
Love to have this sabzi with roti. very flavorful and colorful
mouth watering dish ….yummmm
Nice combiantion of flavours, been some time since I made this :))
never tried this combo before.. must be delicious..
one of my fav dish during winter. looks delish
Archana Potdar says
I love this. Yum never tried it like this. Love it
Vimitha Anand says
Flavorful sabzi Sis!!!
"Healthy Recipe Substitution" HRS EVENT Dec 20th to Mar 20th
SYF&HWS – Cook With SPICES" Series
South Indian Cooking
WeR SAHM says
never ever tried this combo og two veggie… must be delicious and tasty….
Loved this NO Onion and No Garlic recipe. The pic is also very tempting!!