Sem aloo Ki Sabzi-/Hyacinth beans/broad beans and potato stir fry – cooked the North Indian way.
Sem aloo ki sabzi- Sem Ki phali aur Flat beans are available during winter season.These beans are very different from Guvar ki phali or long beans though people often confuse between these beans. Sem ki phali is a flat bean with oval seeds onside . When the sem phali ripens the seeds turn purplish dark or brown in colour but still both the beans and the seeds are edible.
How to Clean Sem Ki Phali
Sem Ki phali is quite fibrous and we have to remove the strings from both the sides of the phali else it will not taste good and you will feel the hard fibers while eating.Then most important thing to remember is to slit open the pod after removing the side string as many times the pod from inside was not good .There may be few worms hidden inside or the seeds may be rotten. So very impotent to open and check the pod .
After cleaning the sem phali you can either chop it into small pieces ,keep it whole or chop into 2-3 big pieces like I prefer to do .It depends on how you want to make it. Sem ki Phali is best paired with potatoes . Sem Phali is quite heavy to digest so Hing and carom seeds/ ajwain should be added in the tempering of making Sem aloo ki sabzi to make it delicious and easy to Digest.
I have also posted these recipes of making sem ki sabzi-
- Valor Muthiya Nu Shaak
- Sem Baigan Ki Sabzi
- Guvar phali ki subzi
- Ker Sangri Ki Sabzi
- Guvar aloo Ki Sabzi
- Valor Muthiya Ki Sabzi
- Sem baigan Ki Sabzi
- Beans Thoran
Sem Aloo ki Subzi / Broad Beans and Potato stir fry
- 250 gms Sem Phali /Broad beans/ Avaraikai
- 2 medium Potatoes / Aloo
- 1 small Tomato / Tamatar chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 2.5 TBSP Mustard Oil / Sarson ka tel
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- Wash the beans,chop the ends and then de-String the broad beans by pulling with your fingers or use with a potato or carrot peeler
- Then tear open from one side(this is important) and check for any worm or rotten seeds and then chop into medium size pieces.
- Discard the hard black (as they are hard to cook and sometimes bitter in taste) and use white and green seeds only.
- Peel and chop potatoes into medim size pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the tempering,when become golden add turmeric and chopped potato and beans.
- Stir and add salt and cover and cook for approx 3 minutes.
- Open the lid and add in ginger and tomatoes,mix cover and cook till almost cooked.(keep stiring in between)
- Now add all the remaining spices and coconut,mix,cover and cook for 1 minute or till cooked completely.
- Serve hot with rice or chapati/ any Indian Bread or daal -rice combo