Moradabadi Daal-A very popular ,nutritious and delicious yellow lentil Daal served in the form of chaat
Moradabadi Daal or Moradabadi moong daal ki chaat is a very popular chaat /snack from the small city of Moradabad in western Uttar Pradesh. The city of Moradabad is famous for irs two things -one is its brass items and utensils and the second is this famous moradabadi daal which is served very differently then the usual way of making and serving moong daal.
This is a very popular street food of Moradabad served along hot crispy Jalebi’s. You can find hawkers and road side stalls selling this daal and jalebi from early morning till evening. This is a favourite breakfast of the people of this city.
This daal is very healthy ,filling and nutritious and also so easy to make.This daal is not only popular as a breakfast item but also served at wedding’s and other functions as a snack/ starter. A stall selling this Muradbadi can be seen in most of the wedding’s ,functions and parties.
Why is this Daal popular as Moradabadi Daal
This city of Moradabadi and the daal Moradabadi both is named after the prince Murad baksh who was the son of the famous Mughal king Shahjahan. Prince Murad loves Rajsthani food and other Indian delicacies like his grandfather Akbar.
Prince Murad also loves lentils so his cook created this delicious recipe of moong daal and served as a tangy delicious chaat and the prince just loved it and ask him to make this regularly for him. So the daal is named after the name of prince Murad and become popular as Daal Moradabadi.
How To make Muradabadi Daal
Making Muradabadi daal is quite simple. Just soak yellow lentil/dhuli moong daal for 30 minutes or so and then cook with enough water till it become soft and mushy. You can pressure cook it or cook in a pan ,both ways works well. Add some water to adjust the consistency ,the consistency should be like pakoda batter.
A variety of toppings are added on top. Chopped tomatoes, chopped green chilies ,ginger julienne ,fresh coriander, black salt, roasted and crushed red chili, chaat masla, roasted cumin powder, cubed paneer,grated radish ,green chutney and lemon juice are added on top. AND YES a tsp of butter on top is a must .
How To Serve Daal Murdabadi
Boil the moong daal with salt and turmeric and then keep it simmered in a wide brass vessel(traditionally it is cooked and simmered in a broad brass vessel) or any pan of your choice . Keep it simmered all the time. The toppings are kept separately in bowls . Add butter spices and the chopped herbs and vegetables on top while serving.
You can also try these delicious snacks recipes-
- Dahi Aloo Chaat
- Matar Ghughni
- Punjabi Aloo Samosa
- Raj Kachori
- Grilled Pizza Puffs
- Crispy Champakali Chaat
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Moradabadi Daal ki chaat, Daal Moradabadi
- 1 cup Yellow Lentill/Dhuli Moong Daal
- 3 cup Water
- to taste Salt
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric/ haldi
- 2 tsp Ghee/ Clarified butter
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
For The Topping
- 5 Whole red chilies
- 1.5 cup Tomato/ Tamatar chopped
- 3 Green Chilies/ Hari Mirch
- 3 tbsp Ginger/Adrak Juliennes
- 2.5 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1.5 tsp Red chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- 1.5 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder/ Bhuna pisa Jeera
- 1 tsp Pink Salt/ Kala Namak
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Coriander/ Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 3 tbsp Butter/ Makkhan
- 1/4 cup Green Chutney
- Wash and soak moong daal in enough water for 1/2 hour an then drain the water.
- In the pressure cooker add the soaked daal ,hing, turmeric, salt and approx 2 cup water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles on medium heat.
- When the pressure releases,open and check the daal, it should be soft and mashed well else add some more water and pressure cook again for 1 whistle.
- Now add some hot water to adjust the consistency , the daal should not be too thick,it should be like pakora batter ,(it tend to thicken after some time so do keep adding some hot water while simmering it)
- Roast the whole red chilies in a pan with few drops of ghee or roast over direct flame and when it cool down ,crush and make a coarse powder and keep aside for topping
How To Serve-
- For individual serving-Take a small and wide bowl or a betal leaf dona.
- Pour a ladle full of hot daal in the bowl, add chopped tomato,chopped green chili,black salt,,chili powder,roasted jeera powder and the crushed roasted chili
- Now add green chutney,lemon juice and the chopped fresh coriander and then add some butter and garnish with some ginger julienne's
- Serve immediately and enjoy as a chaat/snack or have with some hot jalebi's or with any bread of your choice