Yard long Beans and potato curry cooked with tomato and yoghurt.
Barbati is a popular bean used in North India specially in U.P and Bihar region,it is also called as boda/bodi.
It can be made with tomatoes only – barbatti masala curry or you can add few potatoes with barbati.I usually add potato with barbati and either cook with tomatoes or make a tangy curry with curd ,taste great both ways.
Barbati aloo ki subzi can be served with roti or jeera rice.
- Long beans /Bora/Bodie-250 gms
- Tomato-2 (medium)
- Curd-1/2 cup
- Water-3/4 cup
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/3 tsp
- Asafoetida-1/4 tsp
- Ginger-1 tsp
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder-1 tsp
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Garam masala-1/3 tsp
- Salt-1 tsp
- Wash and chop long beans into 1/2 inch size pieces,and peel and cube potatoes
- Chop ginger and tomatoes into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin and mustard seeds.
- When seeds start crackling add asafoetida and then add chopped tomato and ginger.
- Add salt and cook till tomato become soft .
- Now add beaten curd and all the spices ,stir fry for a minute .
- Add chopped beans and potatoes and stir for a minute .
- Now add 3/4 cup water ,mix and pressure cook on medium flame for 2- 3 whistles or till cooked well (depending on the quality of vegetable)
- let it cool down completely and then open and cook for few seconds.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.