Barbatti aloo sabzi- Yard long Beans and potato curry cooked with tomato and yoghurt.
Barbatti aloo sabzi- Chinese long beans /bora /bodie /payar/ cow pea beans /Lobhia ki phali /Chawli ki phali / barbati so many names for the healthy bean ,which is but comparatively less popular among other beans.
Long beans/ barbatti is is a popular bean used in North India specially in U.P and Bihar region.It is mainly a summer vegetable but now very easily available through out the year.It is best used when tender and fresh .It dries soon in comparison to other beans so if some beans dries while storage then don’t throw them just collect the seeds from the dried pods and use in the curry.
It can be made with tomatoes only – barbatti masala curry or you can add few potatoes with barbati.I usually add potato with barbatti and either cook with tomatoes or make a tangy curry with curd ,barbatti aloo sabzi taste great both ways.It taste good with roti or rice both.
Do try these curries-
- Masala Long Beans
- Lobhia Phali Aloo Ki Sabzi
- Sem Aloo Ki Sabzi
- Valor Muthiya Nu Shaak
- Guvar Phali Ki Sabzi
- Beans Thoran
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback!
You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Barbatti aloo ki sabzi, Long beans and potato curry
- 250 gm Long beans/ Barbati
- 2 medium Potato
- 2 medium Tomato
- 1/2 cup Yogurt/ dahi
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1 tsp Ginger/ adrak
- 1/3 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- 1/2 tsp Cumin/ Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Mustard / Rai
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil
- Wash and chop long beans into 1/2 inch size pieces,and peel and cube potatoes
- Chop ginger and tomatoes into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin and mustard seeds.
- When seeds start crackling add asafoetida and then add chopped tomato and ginger.Add salt and cook till tomato become soft .
- Now add beaten curd and all the spices ,stir fry for a minute .
- Add chopped beans and potatoes and stir for a minute .
- Now add 3/4 cup water ,mix and pressure cook on medium flame for 2- 3 whistles or till cooked well (depending on the quality of vegetable)
- let it cool down completely and then open and cook for few seconds.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.