Cabbage and potato stir fried and cooked in mildly spiced tomato gravy -Bengali style
Today I am posting my children’s favorite cabbage and potato curry.I learned this from my neighbour whose mother-in-law was a Bengali.I am not sure whether this is an authentic Bengali recipe or her own creation.But it taste just awesome and I am sure you all will love this delicious curry which goes well with roti and rice both.
- Cabbage-500 gms
- Potato-3 (medium)
- Kashmiri chilli powder-2.5 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1.5 tsp
- Garam masala-1/3 tsp
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp
- Salt-to taste
- Sugar-1 tsp
- Cooking oil-5 tbls
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Fennel-1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds-1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida-1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon-1/2 inch
- Bay leaf-1
- Whole red chillies-4
- Slice the cabbage into 2 and then finely Shred the cabbage ( approx 5 cups)
- Peel and chop potatoes into medium size pieces and chop tomato into fine pieces.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan,add the tempering ingredients on low flame.
- When seeds start crackling and become golden in colour ,add the shredded cabbage and fry on high heat for 1 minute, then fry on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Keep stirring the cabbage,till the sides of cabbage become golden brown.(like the above pic) and don’t skip this ,as the main taste comes from the roasted cabbage.
- Now add the chopped tomato and salt and cover and cook on low flame till tomato become soft and mushy.
- Add chopped potatoes,corinader powder and chilli powder (reduce the amount of chilli ,if you are not using kashmiri chilli powder) fry for a minute and add 1.5 glasses of water.(water level should be approx.1.5 inch above the vegetable)
- Cook covered till done(approx 10 minutes) and if all the water is absorbed till now,then add some warm water(approx.1 cup) at this stage to have some gravy.
- Then add sugar and garam masala and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve hot.
Serving suggestions-best with rice,khichdi ,roti or as a side dish