Aloo Matar Gobhi Ki Tehri / Tahari- A spicy Rice pilaf made with potato peas and lentil Nuggets- a specialty from Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan
Aloo matar gobhi ki Tehri / Tahri / tahari – Mangodi pulao is a very popular Pulao/Pilaf in India especially in the states of Uttar Pradesh and Punjab. In Punjab this is often refered as matar and vadi wale chawal.
Home made moong dal nuggets(vadi)are used to make this pulao,but now these vadi’s are easily available in the market.
I have posted the recipe of – How To make moong daal vadi’s .I have used my mom made vadi’s to make this aloo matar gobhi ki tahari,she makes very tiny sized vadis’, if moong daal vadis'(nuggets) are not available then you can use punjabi urad daal vadi’s (Amritsari vadi’s) crush them into small pieces,as they are very big in size.
Traditionally potato,fresh peas ,moong daal vadi’s and some basic spice are used to make this aloo matar gobhi ki tahari ,but you can also add some cauliflower and carrots to make it more colorful and healthy.this is usually served with plain yoghurt or spinach raita or lauki raita.
Do try these delicious Pulao recipes-
You can check this video and subscribe to my youtube channel- Mayeka for new recipes every week
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Aloo Matar ki Tehri / Matar Vadi Wale Chawal
- 1 cup Rice/chawal
- 150 grams Potatoes / Aloo (2 small size)
- 1 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 1 cup Green Peas / Hari Matar
- 1/2 cup Moong daal mangodi
- 1 cup Cauliflower /phool gobhi optional
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 2 1/4 cup Water / Paani
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1/3 tsp Garam Masala Powder
Tempering / Tadka
- 4 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 2 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- Wash and soak rice in enough water for 20 minutes.
- Peel and chop potatoes and cauliflower in medium size pieces,and tomato in small pieces.
- Heat ghee or oil in a pressure cooker/pressure pan.
- Add cumin seeds,cardamom ,cloves and the vadi's.
- Stir fry on low flame till golden in colour.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice and add rice in the cooker ,saute gently for few seconds.
- Now add potato,tomato,ginger, peas and all the spices.
- Stir for a minute and add water and mix gently.
- Pressure cook on medium heat for 1 whistle (or till done)
- Open the cooker only when cooled down completely.
- Add chopped fresh coriander and gently fluff with a fork.
- Serve hot with a tsp of ghee on top .