Green chilies pickle- chilies cooked with indian spices and lemon juice to make a delicious and tangy pickle
Since childhood I love pickles more then vegetables and always have some pickle with all my meals.But I avoid store brought pickles as they have a high sodium content,so I prefers to make my own pickles and stock different varieties of seasonal and yearly pickles and chutneys .My favourite among all pickles is green chili pickle, so makes many varieties of chili pickles. I learned this chili choori pickle from a Maharashtrian friend of mine,so today sharing her version of making Maharashtian green chili pickle.
The lemon and chili pickle and this maharshtrian chili pickle is my favourite ,and they are made in small quantity and used fresh,and the stuffed green chili pickle is made for the yearly stock.
- Green chilies,chopped-250 gms
- Coriander seeds,coarsely ground-2 tbsp
- Rai kuria-1.5 tsp *
- White vinegar-1.5 tbsp
- lemon juice-1.5 tbsp
- Turmeric-1/4 tsp
- Salt-2.5 tsp
- Cooking oil-3 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds or Nigella seeds-1 tsp*
- Fennel seeds-2 tsp
- Asafoetida-1/2 tsp
- Wash and then wipe green chilies with a napkin.
- Chop chilies into roundals.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the tempering ingredients.
- When seeds become golden then add chopped green chilies and saute them for few seconds.
- Now add 1 and 1/4 tsp salt and stir fry on high heat ,till all the extra moisture evaporates.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it come down to room temperature.
- In a bowl and coarsely ground coriander seeds,rai kuria,1/2 tsp salt,turmeric ,vinegar and lemon juice and mix well.
- Now add the chilies in the lemon juice mixture and mix properly.
- Transfer the pickle in a sterilized glass jar .
- Start using after a day so chili will absorb all the flavours,but can aslo use the same day.
- Stays fresh for 3 month in the refrigerator.
1-*You may substitute fenugreek seeds with kalonji/nigella seeds if you like the flavour and taste of kalonji.
2-*Rai kuria /Rai ki daal- are mustard seeds with the skin removed and then split/cracked or roughly ground and are yellow in colour,but you can also use coarsely ground black mustard seeds instead of rai kuria.