Guvar phali/Cluster beans are traditionally a summer vegetable and very easily available in that season. For places where it is not available at all, it is usually available in canned and frozen forms in supermarkets.These beans are slightly bitter in taste and have a tougher texture as compared to to french beans or long beans. The edge of these beans is especially fibrous, and you’ll have to de-string it. This step adds 5-10 minutes to the process, but is very important to ensure that the dish doesn’t end up being excessively chewy. Once you de-stringed guvar pahali , it is preferable to steam or boil the beans first, in case you to plan to make a stir fry or dry curry.
As this is a heavier vegetable to digest, it is always a good idea to add a little ajwain (carom seeds) to the tempering. It helps the digestion, and adds a great taste too.
The version I am posting today is a “wet curry” (or patli / rasedaar subzi). For a dry stir fried version of guvar phali, you may want to look at this link – Guvar phali ki subzi
Cooking time – 15 min
Difficulty level – easy
Spice level – medium
Cuisine – North Indian
Type – side
Serve – 4
- 175 gms -Cluster beans/Guvar phali
- 200 gms -Potato /aloo
- 175 gm /2 medium -Tomato,chopped
- 1 tsp -Green chili,chopped
- 1 tsp -Ginger,chopped
- 3 tbsp -Cooking oil /tel
- 3/4 tsp -Cumin/jeera
- 1/4 tsp -Carom seeds /ajwain
- 1/4 tsp -Asafoetida /hing
- 1/2 tsp -Turmeric/haldi
- 1 tsp -Chili powder /lal mirch
- 1.5 tsp -Coriander powder /dhaniya
- To taste -Salt /namak
- 1 tsp -Lemon juice / numbu ka ras
- 2 tbsp-Fresh coriander/dhaniya,chopped
- A pinch of – Sugar/chini
- 3/4 cup -Water
- Wash and string the guvar phalis
- Chop to make big pieces of about 1 inches.
- Peel and chop potato into big pieces.
- Chop tomatoes in small pieces
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add cumin and carom seeds,when they start crackling add asafoetida.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and salt and stir fry till tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- Now add powdered spices and stir fry till oil start leaving the sides.
- Add chopped guvar phali and potatoes.
- Mix well and add water.
- Mix and pressure cook for about 2-3 whistles or cook till done.
- Open the cooker when cool down completely.
- Add lemon juice ,pinch of sugar and fresh coriander.
- Serve hot.