Bhindi Sambhariya- Stir fried okra stuffed with coconut,roasted peanuts and few basic Indian spices. This is a specilaity from the state of Rajasthan.
This stuffed bhindi/okra is also a good recipe to carry along during travel or to pack in lunch boxes. The stuffing is little time consuming but the taste is worth spending the extra time.
Addition of roasted and crushed peanuts gives a nice crunch and the coconut gives a natural sweetness . It’s a medley of flavours inside the okra. Do give it a try once and you will be making it regularly. It is best served with poori ,paratha ,roti or with daal -rice combo meal.
Do try these delicious yet simple to make Okra recipes-
- Hyderabadi Masala Bhindi
- Kurkuri Bhindi
- Bhindi aloo Ki Sabzi
- Bhindi Sambhariya,
- Achari Bhindi ,
- Bhindi Masala
- Bhindi ka Raita
- Bhinda Kadhi
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates.
- 300 gms Bhindi/ Okra
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds/ Rai
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- 8 Curry Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coconut
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts crushed
- 1 tbsp Roasted Sesame Seeds powder
- 1 tsp Mango Powder/ Amchoor
- 2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- To Taste Salt
- Wash bhindi and spread on a cloth napkin in a single layer to remove all the moisture.
- Trim the edges and make a slit in the center lengthwise,take care not to break the okra in two pieces.
- In a big bowl add all the ingredients for stuffing and mix well.Stuff okras with this stuffing and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a broad and heavy bottom pan and add cumin seeds,mustard seeds,asafoetida and curry leaves.
- When seeds start crackling add the stuffed okras and the left over stuffing masala .
- Cook on slow flame with out covering the pan.this way you will retain the bright green colour of the okra.
- If the okras are not tender,are big or you are in hurry then can cover the pan with a lid.
- Keep stirring in between so it will get a nice colour from all the sides.When done remove from the pan and serve hot.
- erving suggestions-serve with rice and chapatis.
Loved this recipe when we prepared for the first time when Anjana first posted. Still loving it after a decade or so! Thank you, Anjana!
Thank You 🙂
Bhindi is my favorite vegetable. Your method , preparation and the presentation is lovely.
This is my favorite way of cooking bhindi. Sometimes I just add the masala for filling along with the sliced bhindi and cook everything together. Looks delicious!!
I do the same stuffing when I make bhagara baingan…i add some besan as well. Looks awesome, want to try this soon.
Priya Suresh says
Wat a nutritious and healthy stuffed okras.
sanjivni yatin says
loved this very much in hostel days,looks delicious:)
looks absolutely smashing!! 🙂
Sapana Behl says
This looks so delicious . Thanks or sharing.
Shobha Kamath says
Nice one! Loved it!
Meena B says
delicious bharwan bhindi
This looks so yummy.
Pranjali Naik says
Meena Selvakumaran says
looks delicious,will definitely try it…