Dahi ke aloo ki sabzi–Potato and yogurt soup/Potatoes cooked in a creamy and tangy yogurt sauce
Dahi ke Aloo/Dahi waale Aloo/Dahi Aloo is a popular curry in North India. Boiled and mashed potatoes are cooked in a creamy and tangy yogurt sauce with basic spices.
It is a very simple and easy to cook dish as very few spices are needed to make this delicious curry. Dahi ke Aloo can be served with Rotis and Parathas, but in Uttar Pradesh it is usually served with Methi Bajra Poori, Kachori or Bedvi Pooris.
You can also serve this as a fasting food/vrat ka khana, in which case you may substitute chili powder with black pepper powder if you avoid eating chili powder during fasting.
You may also serve this with these crisp poori’s-
- Kuttu poori,
- Rajgiri Poori
- Bedmi poori
- Kachchi Haldi Ki sabzi
- Makki Aloo Paratha
- Mooli Gajar ka Achar
- Gatte ki sabzi ,
- Ker sangri ki sabzi
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Dahi Ki Aloo Ki Sabzi
- 4 medium Potatoes / Aloo Boiled
- 1 cup Yogurt/ Dahi
- 4 Green chilies/Hari Mirch
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder/ Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- 1/2 tsp Ginger / Adrak Grated
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 3 tsp Cooking Oil
- 4 Dried whole red chilies
- 1 tsp Cumin/ Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Mustard Seeds/ Rai
- 1/4 tsp Fennel seed/ Saunf
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- Take boiled and peeled potatoes in a bowl and roughly mash them(don’t make a paste )
- Heat oil (or use half ghee and half oil if you wish) in a pan.
- Add the tempering ingredients ,when seeds start crackling ,add slit green chilies and saute for a few seconds.
- Remove the pan from the flame and add all the powdered spices(turmeric,chili powder,coriander powder)
- Immediately add beaten yogurt and stir once.(see the tips)
- Put the pan on the gas and add boiled potatoes and ginger and mix.
- Add water (depends on how thick curry you prefer)
- Now add salt and let it boil on medium flame .Keep stirring till it start boiling to avoid curdling.
- Cook for approx 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
- When it starts to thicken then add chopped fresh coriander and switch off the flame
- Serve hot with poori, paratha or any bread of your choice.
- To avoid curdling of yogurt in the curry-use chilled yogurt and beat it well ,remove the pan from the flame while adding the curd,keep stirring the curry while cooking for approx 2-3 minutes or till it start boiling after adding the curd.
- You may also add 1 tsp gram flour/besan or refined flour/maida in the yogurt to avoid curdling.
- Add a piece of mango pickle at step -9 for a tangy achari flavour.
- You can make the curry with either fresh or slightly sour curd,depending on your choice and can add 1/2 to 1 tsp of lemon juice if using fresh yogurt.
- Boiled and refrigerated cold potatoes give best result. I always boil the potatoes and keep refrigerated for some time before making dahi waley aloo.