Veg Makhanwala- Restaurant Style mixed vegetables cooked in a mildly spiced creamy sauce
Veg makhanwala is a popular Punjabi dish which is made with a medley of vegetables and then cooked in a creamy gravy. its a popular choice for all festive occasions and each restaurants menu card.
I often make it at home but in a simple way which is quick ,easy and taste awesome .you can also add some fried cashews in it if you want to make it more rich and festive
Though the traditional way of making this veg makhanwala is quite lengthy ,first you have to make the red gravy and then proceed with making the curry. This recipe is a short cut method but taste just awesome! We blanch the vegetables and then cook them in an instant sauce and the curry is ready in a jiffy !
You can serve this veg makhanwala with jeera rice, pulao,naan, kulcha aor any bread of your choice. It taste delicious with everything.
Do try these delicious recipes-
Vegetable Makhanwala / Mixed Vegetables in Tomato Cream sauce
- 150 gms French beans
- 150 gms Carrot / Gajar
- 150 gms Cauliflower /phool gobhi
- 3/4 cup fresh peas
- 2 small Potatoes / Aloo
- 1 tsp Dried Fenugreek / Kasoori Methi
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- to Taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Butter, Unsalted / Makkhan
- 1 Tejpatta/ Bayleaf
- 2 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
For Making Sauce
- 2 cup Milk
- 1.5 cup Fresh Cream
- 7 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1.5 tbsp Refined flour/ maida
- Scrape and make thin and long pieces of carrot (batons).Chop cauliflower and french beans in long slices.Peel and chop potato in thin and long slices.
- Heat enough water in a pan and add chopped beans and boil for 5 minutes. Now add chopped cauliflower and carrot and cook till 90 % done. Drain the vegetables and keep aside.
- Deep fry the potatoes till golden in colour and keep aside.
- Take a bowl and add all the ingredients listed under “to make sauce”,and mix well.
- In a heavy bottom pan add butter, bay leaf, green cardamom, cloves and ginger and saute.
- Now add the boiled vegetables and crushed kasoori methi and saute for a minute.Add turmeric, chili powder and salt, mix.
- Pour the prepared sauce, fried potatoes and sugar in the pan and mix.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes,or cook till you see some fat floating on top of the curry.
- Serve hot with jeera rice, naan or parathas.
1- You can also add some fried cashew in the curry.
2- You can add tandoori food colour instead of turmeric powder.