Aloo Mangodi ki Sabzi- Thin and mildly spiced potato and lentil nuggets curry – Specialty from Rajasthan
Mangodi /bari are sun dried lentil cakes or nuggets,they are made by soaked and ground lentils and then few spices are added into it to give taste and flavors.These mangodis are made on a polythene sheet and then sundried for 2-3 days and then they are roasted and used to make subzi and kadis.
This aloo mangodi curry is made thin like a soup ,but some also like it slightly thick ,depends on individual preference.This aloo mangodi subzi is best served with rice, aloo tehri ,khichdi and chapati.This aloo mangodi ki sabzi is a specialty from Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.In my community this is popular as tari bari ki sabzi and served with khichdi,tehri and roti.
I have also posted –
- how to make moong daal mangodi
- Methi mangodi Nu Shaak
- Aloo mangodi ki kadi
- Mangodi aloo matar ki tehri pulao.
- Missi Roti
- Gatta Ki Sabzi
Aloo Mangodi Ki Subzi /Tari Bari + Video
- 340 grams Potatoes / Aloo chopped
- 135 grams Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 1 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1/2 cup Moong daal mangodi 65 Grams
- 2 tbsp Yogurt / Dahi
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 3.5 cups Water / Paani
- 2.5 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- 3 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- Wash peel and chop potato in small pieces.
- Grind tomato,green chilies and ginger and make a paste.
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker and add mangodis and cumin seeds.
- Fry till mangodis and cumin become golden.
- Now add cloves ,asafoetida and whole red chilies and saute.
- Add tomato puree in the cooker and fry for a minute.
- Add all the dry spices and yogurt and saute till oil start separating from the masala.
- Now add chopped potatoes and stir for a minute.
- Add water and mix well.
- Now pressure cook on medium heat till 4 whistles (or till potato cooked completely)
- When it cool down then open and slightly mash the curry.
- Give it a boil on medium heat (with out covering the pan)
- Now add lemon juice and fresh coriander and serve hot.
4-Instead of making tomato puree you can also add chopped tomato,chili and ginger at step-6 Serving suggestions-serve aloo mangodi ki sabzi with khichdi, tahri ,daal rice combo and chapatis
nandoos Kitchen says
nice yummy curry.
Arjunan Akilandeswari says
lavina agarwal says
Yummm..love mangode ki sabji..missing having this..don't have mangode left in my pantry..we had brought some from india…don't like the once we get in the stores here