Lemon pickle- Sweet and Sour Lemon Pickle made with Ayurvedic spices
Lemon pickle -I have already mentioned in my previous posts that I love to eat and make different type of pickles that I’ve learnt from my grandmother. Lemon pickles have the longest shelf life among pickles, and usually stay fresh till they’re finished.
- Khatta metha nimbu ka achar (sweet and sour lemon pickle)
- Gobhi gajar ka Punjabi achar
- Punjabi mango pickle
- Stuffed Red chili pickle
- Khajoor pickle
- Amla pickle
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Khatta Meetha Nimbu Ka Achar/Lemon Pickle
- 1.5 kg Lemons / Nimbu
- 900 gms Sugar / Chini
- 1/2 cup Ginger / Adrak sliced
- 100 gms Black Salt / Kala Namak
- 50 gm Rock salt / Sendha namak
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 10 Black Myroblan / Harad / Haritiki
- 10 Bengal Pepper / Long Pepper / Lendi Peepli
To grind and make powder-
- 15 Bengal Pepper / Long Pepper / Lendi Peepli
- 10 Black Cardamom / Badi Elaichi
- 2 tsp Ginger Powder / Saunth
- 2 tsp Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch
- 1.5 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 25 Cloves / Lavang
- 1.5 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 8 Black Myroblan / Harad / Haritiki
- Wash and wipe the lemons and then cut into 4 pieces.
- Add salt in the lemon pieces and mix well and fill in a glass jar.
- Close the jar with a plate or lid(don't use a airtight jar)and keep it in a warm place or in sunlight for a month or till the skin of lemons become soft.
- Keep shaking or mixing the lemons in 2-3 days.
- When lemon peel become soft after about a month then Grind all the spices listed in -to grind and make a powder
- Now add chili powder, asafoetida, ground spice powder, sugar ,chopped ginger and 10 whole pipli and 10 whole harad in the lemons and mix well.
- keep the jar in sunlight till the sugar syrup thickens slightly.
- It may take about 15-25 days depending on the heat in the climate.
- Serving suggestions - taste great with any fried snack, pakora, poori, mathri, kachori, khichdi or daal-rice.
2-Lemons with thin skin should be preferred to make this pickle.
3- You may use half sugar and half jaggary instead of using only sugar
4-Add sugar only after the lemon peel becomes soft,it may take about 30- 45 days depends on the quality of lemon and thickness of lemon
5-If you are making in small quantity then can remove the pips of lemon,but as I make it in large quantity so avoided that,as they can be removed while eating.