Bathua Ka Raita- A healthy and delicious yogurt and Chenopodium Dip
Bathua ka Raita- Bathua / Chenopodium / Goosefoot / Cheel Bhaji / betosag/ Pappukura is a leafy green available in abundance during winters. It is widely consumed in Northern India . Not only Bathua but lots of fresh greens are available during winter season like Methi /Fenugreek, Dill leaves/Suwa, Spinach/palak which can be easily used in making parathas, lentils like- Palak wali daal, Methi aloo ki sabzi etc.
Bathua is rich in Vitamin A, Vit C, Improved Appetite, Rich In Iron so improves Hemoglobin level,Rich in amino acids,effective against the formation of kidney stone,useful in piles and reduces internal and external bleeding, is A good Blood purifier, But is a diuretic and can cause gastric pain so should be taken in moderate quantity and is warm in nature so use in Moderation in pregnancy .
Bathua is quite versatile and the taste goes very well with almost every thing .You can add it in the chapati dough,make curries and stir fries ,add in lentils or make raita with it .Bathua raita can be served with Methi Aloo Paratha , Gobhi Paratha, Aloo Matar ki Tahiri , Vegetable Biryani or just with rice daal combo
Raita is a favourite at my place ,My family loves prefer raitas then eating just plain Yogurt so I often makes different raitas to serve along Parathas.
Do check these delicious Raita Recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayek
Bathua ka Raita
- 100 gms Chenopodium / Bathua
- 2 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 1/4 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 3/4 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- Pluck the leaves of bathua and wash them well.
- Boil them in enough water till they become soft or pressure cook with little water for a whistle.
- Refresh in cold water and then grind with little water and make a fine paste.
- Take yogurt in a bowl and whisk it well.
- Add salt, black salt, Bathua paste and mix it well.
- Now and add water to adjust the consistency of your preference and mix.
- Heat oil in a a small pan and add cumin seeds and when cumin start crackling remove the pan from the flame and then add the red chili powder and immediately pour this over the prepared Raita.
- Mix and serve chilled.