Karele ki Bhujiya- Thinly sliced bitter gourd slices stir fried with few basic Indian spices
Karele ki bhujiya is the simplest recipe of making karela/ bitter gourd. There are many who just dislike karela due to its slight bitter taste. But in my family we all like karela in which ever way it is made.
As we all know karela has numerous health benefits. It is very good for diabetics, liver problem, respiratory diseases and also prevents premature aging and make the skin soft and supple. Karela helps in digestion by producing enzymes which helps in good digestion. It high in fiber so aids in weight loss and good to cure constipation if used regularly. so many health benefits by eating this slightly bitter karela.
Though The most popular karela recipe in U.P and Punjab is bharwa karela/ stuffed bitter gourd. But making bharwa karela need quite some time and patience . This karela ki bhujiya is a very simple ,quick and delicious recipe.
What is karele ki bhujiya
In U. P we make so many type of bhujiya . Bhujiya is nothing special, just thinly sliced vegetables, stir fried in few basic spices till they become crisp. Aloo bujiya, Arbi ki bhujiya, Parwal ki bhujiya are the most popular ones. Bhujiya is mostly served as a side dish with daal -chawal or khichdi meal. It is a rustic style simple roz ka khana type sabzi made with few spices only.
How To Make Karele Ki Bhujiya
Making Karele ki bhujiya is very simple. If possible then try to choose small tender karela’s for making bhujiya. Peeling the karela skin is optional. If the karela peel is not good or fresh then I very lightly peel karela using a potato peeler . If the karela’e are fresh and tender then I don’t peel them at all.
After peeling make thin slices of karela and mix some salt in the slices and keep aside for minimum 30 minutes. Then wash with enough water.(This step is optional)
Traditionally bhujiya is made in mustard oil but you can use any cooking oil of your choice .
Heat Mustard oil in a heavy bottom wide pan/ kadhai. Add turmeric in the oil and then add the sliced karela in the pan. Add salt and mix well. Saute for 2-3 minutes with out covering the pan. when the karela-s are half done then open the pan. keep stirring the karela’s at regular interval so they get cooked and become slight crisp.
When the karela’s are done add fennel powder, mango powder and red chili powder and saute for a minute.
QUICK METHOD – If you are in hurry then after adding in the pan just stir for a minute .cover the pan and cook till done. Do keep stirring in between. When karela slices become soft then add the spices and stir for a minute.
Do try these delicious easy recipes-
- Achari Aloo
- Arbi Ki Bhujiya
- Soft Dahi Vada Recipe
- Instant Badam Halwa
- Bharwa Karela/ Stuffed Bitter gourd
- Khatta Meetha Karela/ Tangy Bitter gourd
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Karele Ki Bhujiya
- 400 gm Bitter Gourd / Karela
- 4 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 3/4 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 3/4 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1/2 tsp Fennel powder/ Pisi Saunf
- Wash karela thoroughly and remove the stalks.
- Chop to make thin slices of 1.5- 2 inches length OR make thin roundels (remove the hard mature seeds only)
- Apply 1/2 tsp salt on the slices and keep aside for 5 minutes and then wash it well, this step is done to remove the bitterness of karela. (This step is optional,you can skip this step , I normally make bhujiya without doing this)
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and add turmeric in the oil and then add the sliced karela pieces.
- Stir fry for 2 minutes on medium heat and then cover the pan with a lid and cook till its half done.
- Remove the lid and cook on low heat till karela is done. keep stirring in between.
- When karela get cooked then add the spices and mix well.
- Stir fry for a minute on low heat so the spices will be roasted well.
- Serve with daal-chawal, khichdi or roti.