Lauki chana daal subzi -Mildly spiced bottle gourd and bengal gram curry
Lauki chana daal ki sabzi- , dudhi or bottle gourd holds pride of place in the Indian Ayurveda This is the reason why our ancestors included it in their regular diet.What’s making lauki so popular these days is its benefits on the treatment of high blood pressure and heart disease.And as Lauki is 96.1% water, so is light on the stomach and aids digestion,cure acidity,ulcers, Jaundice and reduce body weight.
prep time-10 min
cooking time-10 min
- Bottle gourd-650 gms
- Bengal gram (chana daal)-1/2 cup *
- Chopped tomato-1
- Ginger-1 inch
- Lemon juice-1 tsp
- Turmeric-3/4 tsp
- Sugar-a pinch of
- Fresh green coriander-2 tbsp
- Chili flakes-1/4 tsp
- Water-2 cup
- Ghee (or oil)-2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Asafotida-1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves-6
- Whole red chili-2
- Chopped green chili-1 tsp
- Wash and soak chana daal in 2 cup of water for 1/2 hour.
- Peel and chop bottle gourd in medium size pieces.
- Heat ghee in the pressure cooker and then add cumin and all the tempering ingredients on low heat.
- When cumin start crackling and become golden,add soaked chana daal ,bottle gourd ,tomato, chopped ginger, salt ,turmeric and chili flakes and saute for 1 minute.
- Now add 2 cup water ,mix and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles on medium heat.
- Open and check ,IF daal and gourd become soft and slightly mashed then add a pinch of sugar,mix and cook for approx 2 minute on slow flame.(if not cooked properly in 3-4 whistles then pressure cook again for 2-3 whistles.)
- Now open and add lemon juice and chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with roti or paratha
You can also make this subzi with yellow moong daal (yellow lentil) instead of chana daal