Lauki chana daal sabzi – Mildly spiced bottle gourd and bengal gram curry
Lauki chana daal sabzi- dudhi or bottle gourd holds pride of place in the Indian Ayurveda . This is the reason why our ancestors included it in their regular diet.
What’s making lauki so popular these days is its benefits on the treatment of high blood pressure and heart disease. Lauki is 96.1% water, so is light on the stomach and aids digestion,cure acidity,ulcers, Jaundice and reduce body weight.
When you go to buy bottle gourd try to choose a small or medium size firm bottle gourd with bright and shiny green color. Big sized Ghiya may be over ripe and mature and have hard peel and thick seeds which didn’t taste good and take much time to cook.
A simple trick which I learned from my mother is to lightly press your nail in the bottle gourd peel, if it is tender and fresh then your nail will very easily pierce the bottle gourd. If you cant press easily then it is surely over ripe and hard so avoid buying such type of bottle gourd.
Lauki is also consumed in majority of the Indian families because of its low price and its wide availability.Though bottle gourd is a very healthy vegetable ,but due to it’s blend taste often children refuse to eat this.
This bottle gourd chana daal curry is my son’s favorite ,so thought of posting this .Do try and make this for your kids too. Hope they will like this version of Dodhi chana daal subzi.
Do try these easy and delicious lauki sabzi recipes –
Check the video Recipe Here
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Lauki Chana Daal Ki Sabzi
Lauki chana daal ki sabzi- Mildly spiced bottle gourd and bengal gram curry
- 650 gm Bottle Gourd/ Lauki
- 1/2 Cup Bengal Gram/ Chana daal
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 1.5 tsp Ginger/adrak chopped
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric/ haldi
- 1/2 tsp Chili flakes
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander/ Hara Dhaniya
- 1/3 tsp Sugar
- 2 cup Water
- to taste salt
Tempering/ Tadka/ Waghar
- 1.5 tbsp Ghee or oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seed/ Jeera
- 1 tsp Green chili chopped
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 2 Dried whole red chilies
- Wash and soak chana daal in 2 cup of water for 1/2 hour.
- Peel and chop bottle gourd in medium size pieces.
- Heat ghee in the pressure cooker and then add cumin and all the tempering ingredients on low heat.
- When cumin start crackling and become golden,add soaked chana daal ,bottle gourd ,tomato, chopped ginger, salt ,turmeric and chili flakes and saute for 1 minute.
- Now add 2 cup water ,mix and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles on medium heat.
- Open and check ,IF daal and gourd become soft and slightly mashed then add a pinch of sugar,mix and cook for approx 2 minute on slow flame.(if not cooked properly in 3-4 whistles then pressure cook again for 2-3 whistles.)
- Now open and add lemon juice and chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with roti or paratha
You can also make this subzi with yellow moong daal (yellow lentil) instead of chana daal
Sujata Rajive says
All your recipes are superb .Have you written e recipe book?
I would like to buy it.
Anjana Chaturvedi says
Hi Sujata- planning to write a e-book, You can check my youtube channel-https://www.youtube.com/maayeka
I am chandrika from Triavndrum.I tried this recipie of urs and my entire family loved it!!!It was delicious
wow great taste thanks.
Anjana aunty! I am a big fan of
your homely recipes and check out
your bolg every other day to see
This is very similar to what I
make. Addition of chilli flakes
has given it such a nice color.
Will try that. Here is my version –
Wow… this looks tempting and yummy.., looks absolutely delicious.
loved your version, i usually make this with moon dal…this sounds very delicious…inviting pic!
Irresistible and healthy subzi..
Love this combo, looks simply delicious..
Vijayalakshmi Dharmaraj says
wow so so lovely dal… i love it very much…
Join in my first event – FEAST FOR YOUR GURU
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA
Meg's Delicious Adventures says
healthy and delicious combo.
– Meg's Delicious Adventures
Hamaree Rasoi says
Delicious and healthy subzi.
I know it will so tasty..looks delicious..
Looks very delicious curry
lavina agarwal says
thank you so much for your lovely comment Anjana ji. My mom makes this, and I love this curry. Making it for dinner tonight 🙂
delicious preparation …..
Inviting to join Ongoing Events
Let's Party – Prasadam Special
Taste Of Tropics – Authentic Indian Platter
What a hearty and comforting meal:-) The rotis looks soo yumm..Superb combo!
kitchen queen says
awesome and delicious lauki with chanadal ki gravy. Our south indian version is also some what similar to this which we call kootu.
Meena B says
i love ur version anjana
next time i make dudhi chana dal i wud try ur version
Guest post sweet and sour pumpkin
Join my first event — Be My guest