Gujarati Raw mango pickle- Tangy delicious Raw Mango pickle -Gujarati style
Gujarati Mango Pickle- have mentioned in my earlier post that I love to make pickles of different varieties and as I have already made Punjabi mango pickle and a Marawari mango and chick pea pickle which have a lots of masalas,so thought of making this simple Gujarti pickle/athanu ,which have less spices in comaparison to North Indian style pickles
To make this Gujarati mango pickle -I have peeled the mango slices before chopping ,but this is optional,you can also make this without peeling the mangoes.You can use readymade pickle masala to make this, which is very easily available in all the Indian stores and I have also posted –Gujarati pickle masala recipe
Prep time-45 minutes
- Raw mangoes- 1 kg
- Ready Pickle masala– 4 tbsp
- Jaggary/Gur- 4 tbsp
- Chili powder- 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida- 1/2 tsp
- Salt- 50 gms
- Mustard oil- 1 cup*
- Wash and wipe mangoes with a cloth.
- Peel the mangoes and chop into small pieces.
- Mix salt and 1 tsp turmeric ,keep covered for 5-6 hours.
- Drain the mango pieces on a steel or plastic colander to strain all the water.
- Spread the mango pieces on a cloth for 2 hours,to remove all the extra moisture.
- Take the pieces in a bowl and mix all the spices and jaggary.
- Heat the oil well and then let it come to room temperature,
- Mix the oil in the mango and masala mixture.
- Mix well and transfer the pickle in a glass or plastic jar.
- Let it mature for 2 days so mango pieces become slightely soft and absorb the flavours.
- Serve with paratha,thepla or rice
1-You can also make this pickle without peeling the mangoes.
2-Can substitute mustard oil with any cooking oil which you normally use for making pickles.