Healthy sweet and spicy Amla candy
Amla /Indian gooseberries are a power house of nutrients .They are a very good source of Vitamin C ,contains a good amount of minerals and many vitamins,calcium,Iron, phosphorous etc. Amla enhances the absorption of food, strengthen the heart, muscle, lungs,good for eyes, promotes hair growth, very good for skin, is good for diabetic patients,diuretic in nature so help to flush down the body toxins.
As Amla is available in abundance during winter so we can make different recipe with it like Amla mirch ki achari subzi ,Amla ki chutney , Amla ki sweet and tangy launji etc . Amla also have anti aging properties so it should be consumed daily by everyone ,it is good for children as well as old people so people of all age group can use it on moderation every day .As amla is available during winters only so it is a good idea to make amla candy in bulk and use through out the year . Amla candy is quite easy to make and it can be made either sweet or spicy masala candy ,today I am sharing both the versions you can make according to your preference.
- 350 grams Indian Gooseberry /amla
- 500 grams Sugar / Chini
- 3/4 tsp Pepper Powder / Kali Mirch
- 3/4 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- 1/2 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder / Jeera Powder
- Pinch of Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 3/4 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- Boil a glass of water in a pressure cooker
- Add the washed amlas in it and pressure cook for a whistle on medium heat.
- When the amlas cool down and comes to room temperature then press them slightly and separate all the segments.
- Discard all the seeds.
- In a big bowl add the amlas and the sugar and mix gently.
- Cover the bowl with a lid and keep aside for a day.
- Next day stir it and cover and keep aside for 2 days.
- After 3rd day all the amlas will sink in the bottom of the bowl after absorbing the sugar syrup.
- Drain the amlas from the sugar syrup and spread on a plate and keep in direct sunlight for a day or 2
- When all the moisture dry from amla and it is no longer sticky from outside then its done.
- No need to make amla dry and hard ,it should be dry from outside but remain soft from inside.
- Now take amlas in a bowl and sprinkle about 3 tbsp of castor sugar on it and mix properly to coat well.
- If you want to make spicy amla then add all the spices along with the castor sugar and mix well.
- keep for a day in the covered bowl and then store in a air tight jar and enjoy.
- You can boil the sugar syrup till it thicken and become like honey then store it in a glass bottle and use as a healthy amla sharbat .