Aam ki launji -A sweet and sour preserve/jam of raw mangoes with mild Indian spices
Aam ki launji is a summer special preparation,which is very popular in North India .Its i a sweet and tangy pickle or chutney . Launji is made with peeled and sliced raw mangoes .Sliced mangoes are tempered in pickle spices and slightly cooked then sugar and chili powder is added and its cooked to make a thick chutney.
There is absolutely no need to add water to cook the raw mangoes ,just cover the pan and cook on low heat ,the mangoes soften in their own steam .If you add water to cook the raw mangoes then you have to store it in the fridge because it can not be stored at room temperature for a long time .But if you don’t add water and cook it properly it can be easily stored for 3 months at room temperature 6 months in the refrigerator and 3 months at room temperature.so avoid adding water while making aam ki launji for a long shelf life.
You can use any variety of raw mangoes for making launji but I prefer using rajapuri or any variety which is slightly less sour in taste.You can even use semi ripe mangoes to make this aam ki launji in that case you need less sugar . Sugar or jaggary both can be used to make launji ,It depend on individual choice,both taste great .you can even use half sugar half jaggary.
Aam ki launji can be served as a dip with snacks or as a side dish with main course meal.
If you love sweet and sour launji recipes then do try-
- Kamrakh Mirch ki Launji
- Karonda Mirch ki Launji
- Amla ki Launji
- Methi dana ki Launji
- Aam ki Achari Launji
Aam Ki Launji ,Raw Mango Relish
- 500 grams Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam
- 500 grams Sugar / Chini
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1.5 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1 Pinch Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder (Optional)
- 1 Pinch Saffron / Kesar (Optional)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- Wash and peel raw mangoes and slice into long pieces.then weigh it ( amount of sugar should be equal or little more to the weight of peeled mango slices,but you can reduce OR increase the amount of sugar if you want )
- Heat oil in a pan, add fenugreek ,mustard and fennel seeds.
- When seeds become golden then add mango slices, turmeric and salt.mix well.
- Cover and cook on low heat for approx 5-7 minutes or till semi cooked.(don't fully cook and don't add water)
- Add sugar and chili powder ,mix and cook on low heat (without lid) for approx. 10 minutes.
- When gravy thickens then add a pinch of cardamom powder and saffron and mix.
- Store in a jar ,when cool down completely.
1-you can also use slightly ripen yellow mangoes for making this chutney ,then add little less sugar .
2-Can also use jaggery/gur instead of sugar .
3-If you don't want to make it chunky and want a smooth chutney then cook it till it become soft at step 4 ,then mash it with the laddle and then follow the recipe,But I like to make it slightly chunky.
4-If cooked properly it stays fresh at room temperature for about 4 months.
5- The amount of sugar vary according to the sourness of mangoes ,you may need 500 gms to 650 sugar to make this. Serving suggestions -serve with any snack,starter or as a side dish with any meal.