Punjabi Dum aloo- Baby potatoes cooked in a rich creamy tomato sauce, seasoned mildly with Indian spices.
Punjabi Dum Aloo-Potato – the king of vegetables, is loved by everyone, everywhere – whether it’s the famous french fries, chips, grill or bakes. There are so many recipes to cook potatoes. Among potato based Indian curries – Dum aloo is my most favourite one.
There are so many versions of this recipe, and the most popular version is the Kashmiri Dum Aloo. However, today I am sharing a different version of Dum Aloo – spiced with Chana Masala (chholey masala) and Black Salt/Rock Salt. Though these both spices are not used in Punjabi dum aloo but this enhances the taste so do try this once and you will surely like the taste.
Also Do Try these recipes-
- Authentic Kashmiri Dum Aloo Recipe
- Beetroot Raita
- Paneer Bhurji
- Masala Hari Mirch
- Gajar Gobhi Shalgum ka Achar
- Punjabi kala Chana Masala
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates.
Dum Aloo Masala Recipe
Dum aloo- Baby potatoes cooked in a rich creamy tomato sauce, seasoned mildly with Indian spices.
Servings: 8 people
- 500 gm Baby Potatoes / Chhote Aloo approx 20
- 3.5 tsp Chana Masala
- 3.5 tsp Kashmiri chili powder – 3.5 tsp
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/2 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 2 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 3 tsp Coriander powder – 3 tsp
- 1.5 cup Tomato puree
- 3/4 cup Yoghurt-3/4 cup
- 3 tbsp fresh cream
- Parboil the potatoes, peel and prick them.
- Deep fry in hot oil OR shallow fry OR apply 1 t.s oil and bake in hot oven for 5-10 minutes. Then sprinkle pinch of black salt over them.
- Mix Kashmiri Chili Powder, Turmeric and Coriander Powder in 1/2 cup water and keep aside. (Paste A)
- Heat 3 tbsp ghee or oil in a pan, add bay leaves and asafoetida, then add tomato puree, stir fry for 1 minute then add chana masala, cream and curd.
- Keep stirring so that the masala does not curdle.
- Now add paste A and fried potatoes, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 1.5 cups of water, salt, black salt and cover and cook for 2 minutes so potatoes get cooked properly.keep stirring in between. (If you want a thin gravy then add little more water)
- Add chopped fresh coriander and mix in.
- Garnish with 1 ts of fresh cream and serve hot.
- Serving Suggestions – Serve with Naan, Tandoori roti or Rice
If you are not using Kashmiri chili powder then reduce the quantity of chilies to half.
Hi anjana – wanted to let you know i tried this no onion-no garlic recipe for dum aloo and it turned out fab ! Have tagged you in my post – thanks ;-))
oops how did i miss this and this dum aloo looks delicious and perfect creamy.. i love this and so many times we order dum aloo from hotels.. i cud never get this texture but now i wud try ur version and btw did i tell u, i made that dal maharani the way u made, one time was without onion garlic and tomato, other time i used these three too, and it turned awesome
supoer delicious n creamy……..
Kalpana Sareesh says
way too delicious..
Spice up the Curry says
dum aloo gravy looks so creamy and tasty.
Ongoing Event : Healthy Diet – Breakfast
Deve essere buonissimo! Buon inizio settimana…ciao
sounds interesting ..wonderful presentation ..;)
Looks so delicious and rich..
Creamy & rich..I too have this in my drafts,will post soon!!
Join me(Erivum Puliyum)
in the following ongoing events-
Show me Your HITS -Iron Rich Foods
EP Series-Ginger or Pepper Corns
Suja Manoj says
Creamy and rich,love the click.
YUM and rich gravy, nice clicks
WOW THAT LOOKS RICH AND CREAMY….AWESOME..
Just mouthwatering…looks so easy to prepare and delicious!
Aruna Manikandan says
looks delicious and very tempting 🙂
Poonam Borkar says
wow..dum aloo looks absolutely delicious.. Very tempting clicks..love the texture of gravy..fabulous!