Paneer butter masala -Cottage cheese cooked in a smooth and creamy tomato sauce
Paneer butter masala is a very popular Punjabi curry. Usually it is made with onion base to make it creamy and thick. But as I dont consume onion so I added pumpkin/ lauki in the gravy and it turn out so smooth ,thick and creamy. Addition of melon seeds ,cashew and cream makes it delicious and restaurant style gravy.
Do try this Paneer butter masala once and you will be making it regularly.
You may also like these delicious recipes-
- Milk Masala Powder
- Beetroot Raita
- Paneer Bhurji
- Masala Hari Mirch
- Gajar Gobhi Shalgum ka Achar
- Punjabi kala Chana Masala
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Paneer Butter Masala
- 200 gms Cottage cheese / Paneer
- 4 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 2 tbsp Fresh cream or milk
- 2 tbsp Butter, Unsalted / Makkhan
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 3 tbsp Bell Peppers / Capsicum / Shimla Mirch chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Kashmiri Chili powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
for making the paste
- 150 gm Grated bottle gourd
- 12 Cashew Nuts / Kaju
- 15 Melon Seeds / Magaz / Kharbooje Ke Beej
- 1 inch Ginger / Adrak
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1 tsp Dried fenugreek leaves
- 2 tbsp Refined Oil
- 3 Cloves / Lavang
- 4 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 8 Whole pepper corn/ Sabut Kali Mirch
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon /daalchini
- Blanch,peel and grind tomato and make a smooth paste.
- Gravy-Take 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add 1/2 tsp cumin,cinnamon,cloves ,peppercorns and green cardamom.
- When seeds start crackling add cashew nuts,melon seeds and grated bottle gourd(lauki).
- Saute for 2 minute,then add salt and kasoori methi(dried fenugreek leaves) and cook for 2-3 minutes or till bottle gourd get cooked,then take out the mixture in a bowl.
- Let it cool down, then grind and make a fine and smooth paste.
- Heat 1tbsp oil+1 tbsp butter in a pan,add capsicum pieces and saute for few seconds.then add turmeric,chili powder and tomato puree and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the bottle gourd gravy and cook again for 1 minute.
- Add salt ,sugar,fresh cream and cottage cheese(paneer) pieces.
- Mix and cook on slow flame till oil start seperating from the sides of the pan.
- Add 1 tbsp butter and garnish with fresh coriander or fresh
- Serving suggestions-best with naan,tandori roti or rice
Ruhi Saxena says
Mam u rocked at home 🙂 Thankyou for such an amazing recipe. I and my husband totally loved it. This recipe is far far better than the market one. I paired it with Mexican salsa rice and laccha parantha. Wow Dinner. Thankyou very much for such perfect measurements.
can we use whipping cream instead of cream ?
Made it y'day with some slight modifications and it was a super hit. Love your unique and interesting combination side dishes. Will be visiting your blog more often 🙂
I heard about using bottle gourd for making butter panneer from my sister-in-law's mom. She had made it when we visited for lunch and the thing is we did not even notice the difference. I then googled to find the proportions, changes required and found them here. I've made it for dinner today and it looks just like the butter panneer my mom would make. Thank you.
Sailaja Damodaran says
tempting……. why is bottle gourd added?
Irresistible and inviting..
Looks tempting and delicious
Prathima Rao says
Such a creamy gravy!!!!bookmarked
Mouthwatering,creamy & rich!!
Join my ongoing EP events-Oregano OR Paprika @ Foodomania
wow this looks amazing!
Saraswathi Tharagaram says
Super duper yummy combo..very inviting.
yummy combo meal
I am hosting priya's Healthy diet – steamed foods.I am inviting you all to participate my event
Please send your entries to my event.
One of my favorite dishes of all time. I think your spicing and proportions are perfect. Lovely image. I am craving paneer right this moment.
That is a rich and elaborate masala.. and it all adds to the looks and taste of the dish. WOW!
kitchen queen says
delicious rich and creamy paneer masala.
Vijayalakshmi Dharmaraj says
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA
Wow !! Grated Bottle Guard.. My friend caklled me up just now and asked me to check your new recipe..
you really are growing up your fans Anjana..
Looks so yummy dear….Love it…
this looks awesome..
Mouthwatering curry. Love the addition of bottle gourd.
Divya Pramil says
Finger-licking recipe..love it anytime 🙂 Looks so yum !!
Today's Recipe ~ Date Yogurt Smoothie
You Too Can Cook Indian Food Recipes
WeR SAHM says
made very perfect … you are always my favorite mam…
Participate Ongoing Event
Let's Party- Prasadam/Prashad Special
Vimitha Anand says
Looks so creamy n restauranty
Paneer msala looks delicious
this is nicely done. I liked the addition of melon seeds and bottlegourd to make the gravy… nice one
Sangeetha Nambi says
Love this ever….
my favourite, the paneer masala looks mouth watering
Using lauki for thickening the gravy is very interesting
Yummy..The creamy texture invites me to grab from the screen..Too tempting.
Meena B says
wow ur dishes are yummy and onion garlic ke bina it looks so so so wonderful
Wow very tempting