Paneer butter masala -Cottage cheese cooked in a smooth and creamy tomato sauce
Paneer butter masala is a very popular Punjabi curry. Usually it is made with onion base to make it creamy and thick. But as I dont consume onion so I added pumpkin/ lauki in the gravy and it turn out so smooth ,thick and creamy. Addition of melon seeds ,cashew and cream makes it delicious and restaurant style gravy.
Do try this Paneer butter masala once and you will be making it regularly.
You may also like these delicious recipes-
- Milk Masala Powder
- Beetroot Raita
- Paneer Bhurji
- Masala Hari Mirch
- Gajar Gobhi Shalgum ka Achar
- Punjabi kala Chana Masala
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Paneer Butter Masala
- 200 gms Cottage cheese / Paneer
- 4 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 2 tbsp Fresh cream or milk
- 2 tbsp Butter, Unsalted / Makkhan
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 3 tbsp Bell Peppers / Capsicum / Shimla Mirch chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Kashmiri Chili powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
for making the paste
- 150 gm Grated bottle gourd
- 12 Cashew Nuts / Kaju
- 15 Melon Seeds / Magaz / Kharbooje Ke Beej
- 1 inch Ginger / Adrak
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1 tsp Dried fenugreek leaves
- 2 tbsp Refined Oil
- 3 Cloves / Lavang
- 4 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 8 Whole pepper corn/ Sabut Kali Mirch
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon /daalchini
- Blanch,peel and grind tomato and make a smooth paste.
- Gravy-Take 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add 1/2 tsp cumin,cinnamon,cloves ,peppercorns and green cardamom.
- When seeds start crackling add cashew nuts,melon seeds and grated bottle gourd(lauki).
- Saute for 2 minute,then add salt and kasoori methi(dried fenugreek leaves) and cook for 2-3 minutes or till bottle gourd get cooked,then take out the mixture in a bowl.
- Let it cool down, then grind and make a fine and smooth paste.
- Heat 1tbsp oil+1 tbsp butter in a pan,add capsicum pieces and saute for few seconds.then add turmeric,chili powder and tomato puree and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the bottle gourd gravy and cook again for 1 minute.
- Add salt ,sugar,fresh cream and cottage cheese(paneer) pieces.
- Mix and cook on slow flame till oil start seperating from the sides of the pan.
- Add 1 tbsp butter and garnish with fresh coriander or fresh
- Serving suggestions-best with naan,tandori roti or rice