Aloo baigan sabji- A North Indian style dry curry of potatoes and aubergine
Aloo baigan sabji- This North Indian style Aloo baigan is a simple and delicious dry dish,Potatoes are very well paired with soft and melt in mouth brinjals and tomato and make’s it a great combo,the main flavor of this dish comes from the flavor of its tempering.
The tadka of mustard seeds, fenugreek and fennel seeds gives a very nice flavor and taste to this simple curry.I have used mustard oil,but you can substitute it with any cooking oil of your choice. I have not added fresh peas in it but you can add some fresh peas or choliya in it .
You may like these delicious recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Aloo Baigan Ki Sabji
- 1/2 kg Brinjals / Baingan diced
- 2 Potatoes / Aloo chopped
- 1/2 cup Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
Tempering / Tadka
- 4.5 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash brinjals and chop to make small cubes or make long slices.
- Peel and chop potatoes in cubes.(peeling is optional,you can also chop them without peeling).
- Heat oil in a deep pan ,when it become warm then add the tempering ingredients.
- When mustard seeds start crackling and fennel become golden,then add chopped potatoes and turmeric.
- Stir for few seconds and then cover the pan and cook for approx 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Now open the lid and add chopped brinjals,ginger and salt.
- Mix well ,cover and cook on low heat till the vegetables are almost cooked .
- Add chopped tomatoes and all the remaining spices and mix gently.
- Cover and cook on low heat till cooked completely.(approx 1-2 minutes)
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.
I have been reading quite a few of your recipes and a ready to try several of them. I am not terribly experienced with Indian cuisine nor with the (new) pressure cooker but since still in modified lockdown and have been given a large eggplant (aubergine) and and lots of potatoes. I currently lack the fresh coriander and the mustard seeds. How much should I increase the dried coriander (if at all) and any suggestion for a replacement for the dried mustard seeds? Also, I note that this is the first recipe I have seen that does not call for Kashmiri Chili powder (which I do not have) and Just wanted to be sure this was not inadvertently omitted since I know when using Non Kashmiri chili powder, less is called for
Most of the times kashmiri chili powder is added to enhance the bright red colour of the curries , not much for the flavour or aroma
No need to increase the quantity of dried coriander, add cumin instead of mustard seeds,i have added fresh coriander for garnish and for fresh aroma, you can easily skip it if not available
Very tasty, simple preparation. I have repeated the subzi many times. This tempering combination is the highlight of this and takes it to another level
Thank you Pallavi ! glad you liked it 🙂
I am chandrika from Trivandrum..I Tried this reciie of yours…its a refreshing chaange from the usual onion and tomato combination..My entire family loved this!!!
The recipe is a HIT !!
Tried it today and it was yummy. Just like mom's version.
Life savour (pun intended) easy to make and reminds me of home …
nice and yummy!
"Healthy Recipe Substitution" HRS EVENT Mar 20th to May 20th
Wow!! delicious aloo baigan ki sabzi..nicely made…
Absolutely delicious. Looks amazing!
Priya Suresh says
Love this both veggies very much, my all time favourite combo too.
Maha Gadde says
looks delicious and really luking tempty.
Aara Shaikh says
Looks So delicious with all the whole spice coated yummm
Wer SAHM says
sabji looks too good ….
Roha Khan says
wow!! simple and delicious.. i'll do it, but i'll replace brinjal with zucchini..as all the family members have allergy with brinjal..
Delicious combo..Subzi Looks inviting!
Meena Selvakumaran says
delicious sabzi,i love this combo.
A delicious way to prepare brinjal vegetable….
Sanoli Ghosh says
Absolutely delicious Baingan ki sabzi.
kitchen queen says
lip smacking aloo baingan sabzi.
Hamaree Rasoi says
Delicious and inviting looking aloo subzi. Could be had anytime during the day.