Aloo baigan sabji- A North Indian style dry curry of potatoes and aubergine
Aloo baigan sabji- This North Indian style Aloo baigan is a simple and delicious dry dish,Potatoes are very well paired with soft and melt in mouth brinjals and tomato and make’s it a great combo,the main flavor of this dish comes from the flavor of its tempering.
The tadka of mustard seeds, fenugreek and fennel seeds gives a very nice flavor and taste to this simple curry.I have used mustard oil,but you can substitute it with any cooking oil of your choice. I have not added fresh peas in it but you can add some fresh peas or choliya in it .
You may like these delicious recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Aloo Baigan Ki Sabji
- 1/2 kg Brinjals / Baingan diced
- 2 Potatoes / Aloo chopped
- 1/2 cup Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
Tempering / Tadka
- 4.5 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash brinjals and chop to make small cubes or make long slices.
- Peel and chop potatoes in cubes.(peeling is optional,you can also chop them without peeling).
- Heat oil in a deep pan ,when it become warm then add the tempering ingredients.
- When mustard seeds start crackling and fennel become golden,then add chopped potatoes and turmeric.
- Stir for few seconds and then cover the pan and cook for approx 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Now open the lid and add chopped brinjals,ginger and salt.
- Mix well ,cover and cook on low heat till the vegetables are almost cooked .
- Add chopped tomatoes and all the remaining spices and mix gently.
- Cover and cook on low heat till cooked completely.(approx 1-2 minutes)
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.