Shalgam Sabzi- Turnip and peas cooked in a tangy tomato sauce
Shalgam Sabzi- Turnip/shalgam /Gungloo is a healthy,easily available and a very reasonably priced vegetable.Though it is a winter crop but now easily available through out the year.
Turnip is mainly consumed in the state of Punjab.Turnip has numerous health benefits as it is loaded with so many nutrients ,it strengthen the immune system,helps to loose weight,good source of B-complex, minerals, maintains blood pressure, decrease the risk of heart disease and diabetes
When you shop for shalgam then try to choose small young shalgam as they taste best,the big mature turnip taste slightly woody and bitter and some times turn dry and fibrous from the center so choose heavy but small turnips for best result.
As shalgam is from the raddish family so it has a peculiar taste . You need to add some sugar and lemon juice to balance the taste.you can either make this shalgam sabzi dry or make little soft and watery like I made
Do try these delicious recipes-
- Shalgam Ka Bharta
- Gobhi Gajar Shalgum pickle
- Gajar Shalgam ki kanji
- Mooli Baigan Ki Sabzi
- Mooli Ki Bhujiya
- Aloo Gobhi Sabzi
Shalgam Ki Subzi,Turnip Curry
- 600 gms Turnip/Shalgam
- 1/3 cup Green Peas / Hari Matar
- 2 medium Tomato / Tamatar 200 gm
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 2.5 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1 cup Water / Paani
- 2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 1.5 tsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 4 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1.5 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- pinch Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- Pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash and peel turnip and chop into medium size pieces.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the tempering ingredients.When seeds start crackling add chopped tomato and stir for a minute.
- Add chopped turnip, green peas ,chili powder,coriander powder,salt and turmeric.Add a cup of water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles on medium heat.
- When cool down then open the cooker and roughly mash the boiled turnip with the laddle.
- Add sugar and ginger and cook till it thicken slightly.
- Then add lemon juice and fresh coriander and ghee
- Serve hot with chapati or paratha.
- Try to choose small and heavy turnip as small turnip taste best,mature and big turnip have a peculiar taste.
- I prefer to mash the curry so it absorb all the flavours but you can make it without mashing if you prefer.
- I have make it watery but you can also make it dry.
- Can use mango powder instead of lemon juice.
- Addition of green peas is optional.