Saag Aloo -Simple and Rustic potato and spinach curry
Saag aloo is the simplest aloo palak curry and every one loves it for its mild and fresh flavors. It’s a very easy to cook stir fry with basic Indian spices. It is a very popular Indian dish in U.K.
There are many versions of making aloo palak , some are made the rich and creamy style loaded with cream or yogurt which are also very tasty but you will not be able to taste the true flavour of palak.I have seen many people add tomatoes and many spices to make saag aloo but the authentic way of making saag aloo is to add very few spices and only spinach and potato ,no tomato or yogurt is added in it .Avoid overcooking of spinach ,just cook till done.
There is one more version of making Aloo Palak , North Indian style – Aloo palak ki bhujiya .As Spinach is very good for health so I always try to add it in our meal- Sepu vadi ,Spinach corn curry , Stuffed spinach and cheese balls, Palak Raita, Daal hariyali ,Hara bhara kabab are my family favorite dishes and I try to cook them often.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Saag Aloo, Spinach and potato stir fry
- 3 medium Potatoes / Aloo 400 grams
- 250 gram Spinach / Palak
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1 pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 3 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1 pinch Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- Wash spinach 2-3 times in enough water to remove all the dirt .
- Chop the hard stalks of spinach ,no need to remove the tender stalks
- Peel and chop potato into medium size cubes (peeling potato is optional)
- Heat oil in a pan ,a prefer to use a iron kadhai to cook spinach
- Add mustard oil and let it heat properly and then switch off the heat and let it cool down slightly.
- Now add cumin seeds ,chopped green chilies ,ginger and asafoetida.
- Now add chopped potatoes and salt and mix.
- Cover and cook on medium heat
- Stir 2-3 times in between to avoid sticking to the bottom.
- When potatoes are 90% done then add the chopped spinach and mix.
- Cook on medium heat till spinach become soft (no need to cover the pan now)
- When done add garam masala and lemon juice and mix
- Serve hot with chapati or rice
- Can use the leftover saag aloo to stuff in paratha or sandwiches.