Rawa idli -Steamed semolina muffins with corn,cashews and mild spices-a specialty from South India
- Semolina-2 cup
- Yoghurt(slightly sour)-1 cup
- Corn kernels-1/2 cup
- Chopped ginger- 1.5 tsp
- Turmeric-a pinch of
- Fruit salt-2 tsp
- Salt-1 tsp
- Water- approx 1 cup
- Refined oil-2 tbsp
- Cashew nuts-12
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
- White lentils (urad daal)-2 tsp
- Bengal gram (chana daal)-2 tsp
- Chopped green chilies-2 tsp
- Curry leaves-12
- Dried fenugreek leaves-2 tsp
- Asafoetida-a pinch of
- Take yogurt in a bowl and whisk well.
- Now add chopped ginger, semolina and approx a cup of water and make a medium thick batter ,slightly thinner then the normal idlis
- Whisk well and add salt,corn kernels and a pinch of turmeric.
- Cover and rest for 15 minutes .
- Make the tempering-heat oil in a small pan,and fry cashew pieces on low heat till golden in colour,remove from the pan and add them in the semolina mixture.
- Now in this oil add mustard seeds and white lentils,when it start crackling,add curry leaves pieces and asafoetida and remove it from the flame.
- Add dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi), saute for few seconds and mix in the semolina batter.
- You can add some more water in it ,if it thicken a bit now.
- Heat water in a steamer and grease the idli plates with oil.
- When water start boiling add fruit salt in the mixture ,mix well and pour approx 1 tbsp of mixture in every idli mould.
- Place the idli stand in the steamer ,cover and cook for approx.10 minutes ,first on high heat and then on medium flame .
- Remove the steamer from the flame,let it stand for 5 minutes and then with the help of a greased spoon scoop out the idli’s .
- Serve hot with sambhar and coconut chutney
- Grated coconut-2 cup
- Roasted chana daal(daaliya)-2 tbsp *
- Fresh coriander-1/4 cup
- Yoghurt-3/4 cup
- Green chilies-2
- Ginger-1/2 tsp
- Salt-1/2 tsp
- Refined oil-1 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- White lentil(urad daal)-1 tsp
- Curry leaves-6
- Whole red chili-2
- In a mixer jar add freshly grated coconut,roasted chana daal, chopped coriander ,green chilies,ginger and 4 tbsp of water and grind to make a paste.
- Take out this mixture in a bowl and add salt and beaten yoghurt.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds and white lentils.
- When seeds start crackling, add asafoetida,curry leaves and whole red chilies.
- Pour this over the chutney mixture and mix well.
- keep refrigerated ,easily stays fresh for 2-3 weeks.
Serving suggestions-serve with idli,dosa,fritters,vada ,rice or use as a spread for sandwich and wraps.
1-Add 3 whole red chilies and lemon size tamarind instead of green chilies and yoghurt.
2-Add 1 slightly sauted tomato while grinding and use tamarind instead of yoghurt.
3-Use mint leaves instead of coriander leaves .
4-If roasted chana daal is not available then use cashews instead,chana daal is added just to make the chutney smooth ,thick and creamy.