Stuffed green chili pickle -North Indian style
- Thick Green chilies /Serrano peppers- 350 gms
- Fennel seeds-1/4 cup
- Mustard seeds-2 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds-1.5 tsp
- Coriander powder-3.5 tbsp
- Mango powder-3 tbsp
- Turmeric powder-1 tsp
- Asafoetida-1/2 tsp
- Salt-1.5 tbsp
- Mustard oil-2 tbsp
- White vinegar-1.5 tbsp
- Wash and wipe the chilies well and then spread on a towel for some time to remove any trace of moisture .
- Slit from the middle lengthwise from top to end part and take care not to cut into two parts.
- You can remove the seeds from the chilies to make it less spicy.(optional)
- Grind mustard and fenugreek and make a powder.
- Coarsely crush fennel seeds.
- In a big bowl add all the spices,vinegar and 2 tbsp oil and mix well.
- Stuff this mixture in the chilies.
- Now put the stuffed chilies in a sterlized jar .
- Heat 2 tbsp of mustard oil and then let it cool down completely,then pour over the chiles.
- If possible keep the jar in sunlight daily for few hours and Start using after 4-5 days.
- Serve with rice and any Indian bread of your choice.
1-The pickle stays well for minimum a month but If you are making the pickle in large quantity then add enough oil to cover the pickle till the rim for a long shelf life .
2-Quick version-You can chop the chilies in roundals and then mix all the ingredients in it and fill in the jar.
3- Can substitute vinegar with lemon juice.