Sooji Ka halwa -A popular and delicious Indian semolina pudding
Sooji ka Halwa is a very popular Indian dessert. Sooji halwa is made very easily with just few basic ingredients available in the kitchen. It is the easiest dessert to make on celebrations,festivals and on any big or small event in the family. When you have craving for having some thing sweet then sooji ka halwa is an instant idea to come in the mind.
For Navratri pooja or Kanjak pooja the prashad of Sookha Kala Chana ,poori and sooji halwa is a must .In North India almost every one prepares this Sooji Ka halwa for Devi Ashtami pooja.
Sooji halwa is made with semolina roasted in pure desi ghee and then sugar, water and nuts are added. Some people add milk instead of water but it depends on each and every family and individual choice, both gives awesome results.
How To Make Perfect Sooji ka Halwa
The main thing to make sooji halwa is to use fine good quality Sooji/ semilina as it gives a nice soft texture to the halwa.
Pure ghee is used to make sooji halwa and a good amount of ghee is added in it for a nice texture and taste so don’t compromise on it.
Sooji should be roasted well, I have seen many people just stir sooji for few minutes and then they add water in it so the Sooji halwa look white in colour. If you roast sooji to a nice golden colour then only you will get a nice golden colour halwa,rest it depends on individual choice.
Variations of Sooji ka Halwa
Traditionally sugar is added in the halwa but if you wish you can also add jaggary or brown sugar in it.
You can add milk or a mix of both instead of adding only water for a more richer taste.
Pineapple juice or chunks can be added in it along with water for making Pineapple kesari halwa.(recipe link given below)
Mango puree can also be added in the halwa to make Mango sooji halwa.(recipe link given below)
Mashed banana can also be added in the sooji halwa, seen many of my South Indian and Gujarati friends making halwa with Banana specially for prashad.
If you are looking for more Halwa recipes then do check-
- Instant Badam Halwa
- Mango sooji Halwa
- Pineapple Kesari Halwa
- Kada Prashad/ aate ka halwa
- Lauki Ka Halwa
- Aloo ka Halwa
- Gajar Ka Halwa
Sooji Ka Halwa , Semolina Pudding
- 1 cup Semolina / Sooji
- 1 cup Ghee
- 1.5 cup Sugar / Chini
- 3.5 cup Water / Paani
- 4 tbsp mixed nuts chopped
- 3 tbsp Raisins / Kishmish
- 2.5 tbsp Fresh Coconut, Grated optional
- 1/2 tsp Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi powder
- Heat ghee in a pan and add semolina and fry on low heat,keep stirring.
- When semolina become golden in colour then add warm water and let it come to a boil.
- When water start boiling add sugar, chopped nuts and raisins.
- Keep stirring ,till it become thick like a paste and all water get absorbed.(remember it will thicken further while it cool down)
- Now add cardamom powder and grated or dessicated coconut and mix well.
- Take out in a bowl and serve hot ,garnish with some chopped nuts and coconut.
- OR- pour in a greased plate , sprinkle some desiccated coconut over it and let it cool down for 1/2 hour,then cut into square or diamond shapes and serve as semolina burfi.